1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems Installing New Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dreamspinner3, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3 Thread Starter

My old video card died over the weekend; it was a STB Velocity 4400 that went into the AGP slot. The new one I bought is a ATI Xpert 128 with 16MB & fits into the PCI slot. I followed the instructions that came with the new card but I can't seem to get it to install correctly.

I put the card in & selected Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) as the instructions say to do that came with the new card; so far, so good. The next step is to install the enhanced drivers that came with the video card on a CD-ROM. The CD-ROM does it thing, then it says to shut down the PC again & reboot. When Windows 98 reboots, all I eventfully see (after the monitor displays the boot up information & the Windows 98 logo) is a black screen with the mouse pointer.

I tried booting into Safe Mode, removing the new software, & then installing it again. No go. I also tried doing the same thing with the latest drivers off of the video card maker's website. Still no go.

My PC is a Cybermax running Windows 98, 128MB of RAM, it has a ALI motherboard with an Award BIOS, the motherboard is M5ALA on the manual. My neighbor mentioned something about adjusting the BIOS, but I have no idea what he meant or how to do it. I read through the motherboard's manual but nothing there makes sense to me either.

I have a feeling that there is something simple I am missing that I need to do. I can boot into Safe Mode without a problem & the system works fine when I go back to using the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA), although I can't adjust the resolution or the color.

What am I missing? I don't want to take it into the shop & pay someone to do it unless I have to & I don't want to keep pestering my poor neighbor.

Help!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Go into safe mode, go to device manager, remove all traces of any video adapter items and reboot. During the boot process you will be promted to enter setup by pressing Del or F10 or something like that. Once in there you will need to go to the peripheral setup screen and change the default video type from AGP to PCI....save settings and reboot. Windoze should detect your new video card and prompt you for the drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice