1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems installing NIC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by solak321, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solak321

solak321 Thread Starter

Allright, this is my first post, and i found these forums while searching for answers to my problems.

Anyway, I need an ethernet card to hook up to a new router that I just got. It is a D-link PCI adaptor, and the desktop that i'm installing into it meets the minimum requirements, processor speed, OS, etc.

So i ran through the install down to the letter and I got through the physical installation and installing the drivers off the cd that was included. Then after it installs the drivers it asks me to restart the computer. So after it boots back up, it gives me 3 illegal operations and i have to close the 3 programs. Those programs are "Sync", "Ndetect", and "loadQM". I try to go to Internet Explorer and that too gets an illegal operation. I don't know what to do, my computer just won't take this NIC. I also tried a USB 2.0 fast ethernet adapter by d-link with the exact same results.

Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

OS is 98 se
    internet access is through an RCA USB cable modem
    I've tried putting the card in 2 different unused PCI slots, and I tried putting it in place of the sound card all with the same results.

2. downtime

downtime

Sounds like those progs are trying to initialize through the wrong device. I think it will take going into msconfig and turning off everything in startup but scanreg, then internet options, and choose never dial a connection. Then set it for using the lan and automatically detect. Loadqm is never needed, ndetect is norton, and sync is briefcase? or something along those lines. Now that the router will be providing internet, you won't want it to be connecting directly. Try that, and post back.

3. solak321

solak321 Thread Starter

Ok, i tried this and it solved the problems of those 3 illegal operations coming up, but I still could not connect to the internet, whether it was through the router or straight to the cable modem. After I tried starting IE with no luck, I put in the router cd, and tried to set up a second computer (this one, i configured the router originally with my laptop). When the PC tried to connect to the router, it said it couldn't, although the link/act light was on both the router and the NIC. I can only really guess at the problem now, but i'd have to say that maybe the right driver was not installed or something, but then again I got the same errors with a linksys NIC, a d-link NIC, and a d-link ethernet-USB adaptor. We'll probably end up getting a new OS here soon, windows 98 has been nothing but problems for the most part, I wonder how well xp would run on a computer with a 500mhz p3 and 256 mb or RAM.

Oh and to top off the strangeness, when right click my computer and go to properties, then the device manager tab, it says that under network adapters the NIC is there, with no exclamation points or anything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice