1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems installing W98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by TonyY, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TonyY

TonyY Thread Starter

Hope you can help out there as I'm having a struggle trying to install a new PC setup with XP.
    Due to my existing PC being 10+ years old it is struggling with XP and modern demands so I've put together a new machine as follows -

Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard with NVidia nforce 4 SLI chipset
    1 GB dual channel Corsair Value Select memory
    Samsung 80GB SATA2 HDD
    Philips CDVDR 1628K DVD
    Floppy drive

I rang Microsoft and their advice was the following procedure to transfer XP to the new machine -

1. Uninstall XP on old m/c
    2. Install Win98 on new m/c
    3. Install XP on new m/c
    4. Activate XP

I've failed at step 2 as follows -

I checked the new m/c was OK by successfully booting from a Win98 startup floppy - DOS worked fine. I then used a DOS floppy version of Partition Magic V5 to create 4 equal FAT32 partitions with C: as the primary / active partition. Again DOS sees all 4 logical disks correctly. I then booted from DOS floppy with CD support and ran the WIN98 SETUP program which initially did the business until it froze about 6% the way through the "searching for non-plug and play hardware" stage. Repeating the SETUP procedure had the same effect always. Rebooting is now possible from the hard disk but the system freezes at the WIN98 logo stage on each occasion. DOS can see the WIN98 file system on the C: drive but still no success booting. I have not at this stage run any of the supplied ASUS driver upgrades.

I have managed to run WIN 98 in safe mode but it hasnt loaded any of the diagnostics and the only useful message I can see is that the drives are running in DOS compatibility mode.I have also run WIN 98 in the Bootlog.txt mode but cannot find any bootlog file on the C: drive afterwards to give me a clue.

Apparently I have a retail Upgrade version of XP - something I didnt realise when I bought it all that time ago - and hence the supposed need to install WIN 98 first? My worries are that the new motherboard will never be able to load WIN 98 - just not part of the spec, and that there is no other route to load my version of XP. HELP !!! Is there any light out there please ?

P.S. I am committed to installing LINUX for my future use anyway to get away from the microsoft nonsense but it would be very useful to have an XP machine available as well.

Many thanks - Tony Young

2. Kitch

Kitch

3. TonyY

TonyY Thread Starter

Thanks - will try that tonight and let you know the outcome - TA.

4. Kitch

Kitch

No problem, good luck :)

5. TonyY

TonyY Thread Starter

Kitch,

Many thanks for your simple but accurate advice. XP loaded like a dream using your method. I should have tried that before but there you go - best plots are the simplest every time. I shall now spend some happy hours loading all the software and adata from my old machine. By the way - have you ever loaded any version of Linux you would recommend. I'll be doing the old dual booting shortly.

Ta - TonyY

6. Kitch

Kitch

Glad it worked out Tony, though I can't claim credit for the method ..... ;)

As far as Linux goes, I've played with Knoppix & Ubuntu live CDs but no more than that.
    Ubuntu seems to be regarded as more beginner friendly, might be worth browsing the Linux
    forum.

7. TonyY

TonyY Thread Starter

Will do Kitch. Thanks for all the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice