1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by haystacs, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haystacs

haystacs Thread Starter

I just did a full format on a 40 gig drive and now I am trying to install Windows XP. I am receiving the following error message:

Setup cannot copy the file: msacm32.dll

Is this because of a hardware problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

2. dai

dai

when you go to install windows xp offers to format for you have you tried this to see if it completes

3. RonK

RonK

You are booting with the XP CD ?

4. haystacs

haystacs Thread Starter

I am booting with the XP CD. I have formatted using both quick format and the full format but I still get the same eror message. Do you think the problem is with the hard drive?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible that there is a problem with the hd. I would check these things in this order.
    1) Download and run a ram tester; many install problems with xp / win2k are ram problems. Here is a link. http://simmtester.com./
    2) Download and run the hd mgf’s utility for checking the drive.
    3) Check the mb mgf’s site for a bios update that addresses install problems.
    4) If everything checks out ok ie ram, hd; remove any peripherals such as scanner, printer, etc. Run install with just the hd, ram, video card and cd drive installed. You can add other stuff later.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can use the hd mgf's utility to write zeros to the drive. This puts it in the same state as when it was new [excepting for wear of the drive]

Was xp installed on this computer before or is this the first time you are installing xp on this computer?

Post system specs, it will help with finding an answer to your problem.

7. haystacs

haystacs Thread Starter

Yes XP was installed before. I wanted to reformat the drive and put a "fresh" copy.

Specs:
    Dell Dimension
    Pentium 4 - 1.80
    Not sure on the manufacturer of the hard drive...

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you try the Dell Restore cd?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will need to open the case and see the hd mgf in order to download the correct utility.

10. haystacs

haystacs Thread Starter

Yes I did try running both the Dell Restore CD and XP professional - Both returned the same error message.

I'll download the utility and see what that returns.

Thanks everyone for the help - I'll keep you posted.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post back with your results. There are other ways to install xp [such as copying the i386 folder to the hd] than just booting from the cd. We do need to make sure there are no problems with ram, hd, etc.

12. haystacs

haystacs Thread Starter

I ran the diagnostics on the drive and errors were found. When I tried to repair the errors I received a message stating that one error could not be repaired. I tried to install XP but I received an error stating that there was no hard drive. I then noticed that the drive was making a clicking sound. I think I am now convinced the the drive needs to be replaced...

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check for the warranty ;)

14. haystacs

haystacs Thread Starter

The warranty just ran out in August!

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is known as the "Click of death" at least hd are pretty cheap right now. Newegg has a WD 80 gig w/8meg cache for $75 with free shipping.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice