Problems installing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

viperms2005

Ok so I just built a new computer and everything is plugged in correctly. I reformated the hard drive and tried to install Windows XP. The reformatting was fine. The problem is when I tried to install XP. I get the following message during the installation:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

If this is your first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

STOP: 0x0000004E {0x0000008F, 0x80007EDD, 0x00007EDD, 0x00000000}
Right now the machine has an AMD Athlon 64 processor with one gig of memory in it,

It could be memory. If your 1GB memory is on two sticks of 512MB, try removing one and then the other to see if the stop error gets resolved.

Another possibility is if you're using a SATA drive, you might need to install the SATA drivers before continuing the XP install. (Early in the installation, there is a message to hit F6 if you need to install special drivers).

I think its a driver issue, something to do with giving wrong I/O instructions. Possibily your video card. ATI Radeon video adapter used to give that error on Windows 2000, not sure about XP.

viperms2005

My one gig of memory is on one stick and I'm using an IDE hard drive. I'm also using the onboard video so I don't think it could be the video card. Do you guys have any other explanations for this?

Its a memory problem, try replacing it with a friends memory stick to see if it solves it, if so have the memory replaced.

viperms2005

Thanks everybody. I just got 212992 errors with my current memory stick. I guess I have to get another one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts