1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems logging on to server, and downloading

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JanuaryGirl, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JanuaryGirl

JanuaryGirl Thread Starter

I have been having probs for a while logging on to my server. I use msn and I have windows me. When I try to sign in I can get connected but it will not sign me in I get an error that says unable to sign you in, there may be probs with server or your internet settings. I have contacted tech supp. many times and all settings seem to be right. I made a new connection with help of tech supp. and I can surf the internet but that is all. I am unable to download anything, I can download it but when I go to install it I get an error saying server could not be found. I can not use any of my programs on the net including aol Im, yahoo messenger, real player, I get the same error unable to locate server. I contacted yahoo tech supp. and they said I needed the proxy server address and port number, so I called msn and they told me they didn't have that info. Anyway Im at a loss cause I can't get anything to work. If anyone has any suggestions pls let me know. Thanks

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

assuming it isn't your computer, and assuming your normally use msn explorer.

Tech support may have told you this already, but here goes anyways.

create a dialup networking connection. Actually create one for each access number in your area.

for the username put MSN/username (where username=your username)

then for the password, put in your password.

winME normally unchecks "log on to network", "netbeui", and "ipx/spx compatible" in the properties for each Dun. Which is cool, but just double check that they are unchecked.

You can create shortcuts on your desktop for each of the Dun connections.

I am assuming you have around 5 or 5 access numbers to choose from.

Try them all. One of them is most likely to work. If none of the dialup connections fully work, then it might be something with your computer software/os.

Definitely get rid of MSN explorer. It is a pile of crap.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Also for problems specific to installs, you should cntrl-alt-del first and end task everything but Explorer, Systray, rnnaap (if present) and the open browser window. You can also do most installs by right clicking on the link, selecting "save target as", and saving the install executable to a convient folder. Then go offline and run the install manually.

4. JanuaryGirl

Shadow, for the first part of your response I understood that. I went through that w/tech supp. As for the second part the Dun? I have no idea what that is im sorry, I would appreciate if you could explain a little further. thanks

5. JanuaryGirl

Rollin, I will try that. But another problem im having is getting my programs to run. Let's say for instance I try to log into my yahoo messenger, it will not let me log in saying that it could not find server. This happens with all my programs otherwise I would think it was only yahoo, and this has been happening for months. Any suggs?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Problem description leaves me a little confused as to whether it is confined to downloads, or whether you are getting "can't find server" messages accessing some but not all web pages.

If it is the latter, do a Find Files for HOSTS and if you find any in the Windows directory with no extension (not HOSTS.sam), try renaming it to GHOSTS.

The Hosts file is created by some programs such as web accelerators and spy and ad blockers. It contains associations between Domain Names and IPs. When the IPs change you get the kind of error you describe. The file is not used by default and can be bypassed without error.

Edit.. just read your reply which makes it a bit clearer, but do the search for HOSTS.

also, are you using a firewall such as Zonealarm?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice