Problems printing & going to MS sites w/Netscape 4.78

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moinkansas

I recently switched from Internet Explorer 5.5 to Netscape 4.78. I have a lot of trouble going to MicroSoft sites now. (For example, I can't use the links in any of my Slate email, though I can move around just fine from Slate.com.) I also can't seem to get the print 'selection' button to work. I use Prodigy 5.0 and Windows 95. At Prodigy support's suggestion, I cleaned my cache, which made no difference at all. Any help would be much appreciated -- Thanks! Mo

I see Netscape is getting worse than it was.

OK my best suggestion would be to uninstall Netscape. Then clean the hard drive, instructions on the following site, follow the ones with the 3 red X's and then reboot and then reinstall Netscape.

This should work if it doesn't I'd go back to an earlier version of Netscape. I went back to 4.7 trying to get rid of the Netscape problems.

moinkansas

I'm sorry -- I don't understand what you mean by 'the following site.' Please explain. Thanks! Mo

moinkansas

After following your great instructions for cleaning up my hard drive, I decided to try upgrading to Netscape 6.1, which I'm happy to report resolved the problems I'd originally posted about. 'Course, now I'm trying to figure out a new batch of problems, but at least the most annoying ones are gone! Thanks for your help -- Mo

Just remember, recently www.msn.com and othre microsoft sites have changed, which blocked every browser except IE. People complained so Microsoft backed off and let Netscape 6.1 in. Mozilla still is being blocked. I haven't tested opera or other yet.

Netscape 6.1 still has a few printing prolems itself.

A Stable install of IE is the way to go.

Don't want to step on any toes here but I have Netscape 4.7 and I just tried and was able to access any microsoft site I tried, including the home page, downloads, updates, and support.

Thanks rkselby98 I only use netscape 6.1 so I couldn't test 4.78. However MSN was blocking all browser besides IE, but they fixed that pretty quick because of people rightfully complaining.

Thanks for the confirmation

They might have but it was a mistake. I can't even begin to believe Bill Gates with all his problems would even consider doing something like that when he is trying to get out of this court thing now with his shirt.

That didn't make sense and that is why I checked a few sites myself. He would have had Uncle Sam all over him and MS. Second why would he do it, it would turn more people away from MS and cause more problems than it is worth.

For MS to be successful it has to be user friendly or at least "Look that way". Gates is smart, he will do what he can if he thinks he won't get caught but he wouldn't do it knowing he would be cutting his own throat. He isn't that stupid.

I agree with ya. Don't remember the links, but the story/issue was all over the net. I read that the Chief Executive of Opera Browser state that microsoft was purposely blocking there browser as the server would check for the opera browser and deny it access.

That was the case with netscape. I will see if I can find the links. I really don't think it was a mistake.

Ok. Read about it at http://www.arstechnica.com/

on their font page under "MSN Blocks non-MS Browsers"

The part about MSN.com being non html compliant. It never has been becaue Microsoft always uses proprietary code, but that is expected.

I myself use proprietary scrollbar colors in my webpages, but I always check validity before I add the proprietary code.

Most of the news pertains to just MSN.com, but I read from some other sites that other microsoft sites had become unavailable to other browsers.

I can't wait till the day when you can use netscape at windows update.

If using netscape you have to go to the corporate site.

Anyways, that is what I read.

after they fixed msn.com to work for netscape 6.1. Mozilla .95 would still not work. And opera 5.12 would only work if you identified it as msie 5.0.

However now, Opera works when it is identified as opera.

Mozilla finally works.

and all the netscapes work now.

So it is all good.

So basically Gates tried to pull a fast one and people called him on it and he backed down.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online