1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems, Problems. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by howard.a.s, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Hi.

Yesterday, whilst using my PC on the net, suddenly a supposedly free online virus scanner popped up on screen and started what appeared to be a scan or download all by itself. Whilst I fought to stop it, strongly suspecting it to be malware of some description, it continued to scan/download, and nothing I clicked on seemed to stop it. In a last ditch attempt to kill the beast, I pulled the plug on my internet connection.

I then proceeded to scan my PC using AVG anti-virus and Spybot, both of which found various threats including adware and a trojan downloader. These threats were either destroyed or quarantined/destroyed.

According to further scans, the PC is now clean.

Problem is, the PC now seems to be running as if it's got concrete blocks tied around its ankles! When booting it takes about (literally) 20 minutes to load all my desktop icons/shortcuts, and when eventually up and running it frequently freezes, or just fails to open programs. During this time, my onscreen display showing details of HDD/Processor/RAM functionality, appears to show HDD activity at 100%, or Processor activity at 100%, as though some unknown process is causing a severe bottleneck.

It may also be worth mentioning that since this attack, I am also having email receipt problems, but have asked about this in the appropriate section of this forum.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be the problem?

Basically, what is my next move?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

For now, just try a System Restore.

Start > run: msconfig > Launch System Restore and choose a date prior to the problem.

Run your antivirus scans again, after the restore and let them clean what ever may have been lurking.

Normally these fake scanners do not actually do anything unless you give them permission and what you might see happening is entirely bogus.

However if you have an unpatched system it's possible they could do something using an exploit.

>> by unplugging the computer you may have caused some registry or file system damage. The IDE controllers may also have degraded in performance.

For this latter issue I think the restore will fix it -- but if it doesn't, try this:

http://winhlp.com/node/10

download the script on the first line; make sure you see it as a .vbs type file before running it. Use the right click "save target as" method to download.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice