1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems reading files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doolallycurls, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doolallycurls

Doolallycurls Thread Starter

I used to have Windows Home operating system on my PC and formatted my hard drive then put Windows XP Pro on. I then realised that I had forgot to save my word files that were in Microsoft Works 8. I now have Microsoft Office XP. I purchased a file recovery software which recovered my files which I saved to my memory stick, however when I try to read my files it just looks like a lot of funny characters and it is like it cant convert the files to anything readable. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help at all would be gratefully received as I am totally stumped.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is possible that the recovery software may have found the file names in the remnants of the previous directory structure on the hard drive but that the actual locations on the hard used to store the files were overwritten with other data as part of the new Windows installation.

3. Doolallycurls

the recovery software showed that they were good for recovery and that they had not been overwritten

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The software recovered what it could, but it clearly wasn't enough to render the files properly.

5. Doolallycurls

Thanks for your input guys, I guess that this is just one of those ones I am going to have to swallow as being a lost cause
    Regards
    Dools x

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!