1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems reading Hotmail with OE6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by eduhalt, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eduhalt

eduhalt Thread Starter

Hi, I can't read my hotmail account using Outlook Express 6. Now I'm 2 months with this problem. I didn't have problems before. I can use my hotmail account with iexplore but I like to save my mails in disk. I've tried to erase the hotmail account in OE6 and reinstalling it but I've allways the same problem.
    After a while I receive this message:

No se puede sondear los mensajes nuevos en el servidor HTTP. Cuenta: 'Hotmail', Servidor: 'http://oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata', Protocolo: HTTPMail, Puerto: 0, Seguridad (SSL): No, Error de socket: 12019, NĂºmero de error: 0x80004005

I've WinXP, cable modem and no proxy server.

Can you helpme? Thanks in advance.

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

My knowledge on this is quite limited, but this is what I think. Since you have a cable modem, your ISP's server must be using some proxy server through which you are connected to the net. It is very unlikely that he has give you a fixed global IP address.

So it may be that the proxy server there has some errors which OE can not work with. Have you contacted your ISP with this problem.

Secondly, is MSN Messenger running in the background while you try to check hotmail with OE? That has created lots of problems for me in the past.

3. eduhalt

eduhalt Thread Starter

:) Thanks for answering. I was thinking nobody was going to do it.

I'm going to check if my cable prvider has instaled recently a proxy, because he has been my provider for the past two years and 2 or 3 months ago I didn't have this problem.

Messenger is running in the back.

C U

4. eduhalt

eduhalt Thread Starter

I've talked with my cable providers and they toldme that they don't have a proxy.
    I forgot to tell you before that I'm not able to read hotmail mails from Outlook XP either.

Thanks again for any other suggestion.

5. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I am sorry buddy, I have nothing more to offer on this because my knowledge is very limited on this topic. And I must also confess that I have never used Outlook XP.

But try to ensure that MSN Messenger is not running in the background. If it pops up automatically each time you start OE6, then I will send you an article on how to separate these bloody irritating siamese twins.

6. eduhalt

eduhalt Thread Starter

Thanks, anyway.

I'll keep trying in other groups and if I get an answer that works for me, I'll post it here.

Please sendme the article about how to avoid having Messenger running in the background.

Thanks in advance.

7. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

This tweak is used to remove MSN Instant Messenger functionality and integration from Outlook Express.

Open your registry and find or create the key below.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "Hide Messenger" and set it according to the value data below.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express]
    Value Name: Hide Messenger
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (2 = remove messenger)

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice