1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems recording stereo sound through line-in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tommo, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tommo

Tommo Thread Starter

This is a bit of a weird one...

I'm attempting to record music from vinyl onto my pc.
    I have my turntable connected to an amp, which is connected to the line-in socket on my soundcard.

The first problem I noticed was that I was only recording the left-hand track of the stereo sound. The right-hand track was just recording as silence.
    At first I thought this must be due to a connection problem somewhere causing the right-hand track signal to not reach the soundcard. However I then discovered that if I just wanted to listen to music from the vinyl through my computer speakers then it played both left and right tracks perfectly. So both left and right signals are definitely reaching my soundcard fine and the problem is purely with recording.

I checked the recording balance, it was set at dead centre, so that didn't seem to be the cause of the problem.
    However, I decided to experiment with the recording balance a bit, and this is where it gets really weird.....

As I've already said, with the recording balance set perfectly central it records the left hand track but no right hand track.

If i move the balance gradually over to the right, the left hand track gradually fades out (as you'd expect), but the right hand track continues to record nothing.

But the really weird thing is when i move the recording balance gradually over to the left:
    At first i still get all the left hand track and nothing from the right, but then at a certain point with the balance about 3/4 of the way over to the left, the right hand track suddenly records a distorted sound and then with the balance any further to the left than this i get the right hand track recorded at about 10% of the volume of the left hand track!

What is going on?
    Do I have a faulty soundcard?
    Can anyone help me?

(P.S. I also don't think its not a problem with the software I'm using because I've used two different sound recording packages with exactly the same effect)

2. Tommo

Tommo Thread Starter

no ideas?

3. dai

dai

i am not knowledgable in this area,but i recall someone telling me a few moths ago that you need a special program
    try a google search

4. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

I doubt it's your sound card, however, there might be a possibility that when you are not recording the input, it may be bridging the left channel into the right, therefore causing you to hear sound from the left and right, but not record it

Check the connection going into your soundcard. The problem may lie in the phono->headphone converter.

Also, check your control panel settings, maybe there are specialized options for recording (EG; you will have line-in balance, but there may also be something for recording balance)

Highly unlikely that it is your soundcard though. ..

5. dai

dai

6. K7M

K7M

double click on the speaker icon in your taskbar. click on options, properties, then select recording, click ok and you will see the recording options for your sound card. that may be where your problem lies. also what program are you using to record? I use polderbits sound recorder, it works well.

7. Tommo

Tommo Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys. This ones still got me stumped unfortunately :(

Yeah, I thought of that possibility, so I tried playing a record with very distinct left and right channels and switching the output balance from side to side, and it's definitely playing the left and right channels throught the correct speakers.

How would I go about checking that?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/203152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice