1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems reformatting Harddrive & prior attempts to fix

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barcar1, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barcar1

barcar1 Thread Starter

My hard drive crashed last week leaving a message on a black screen 'disk read error'.

I contacted tech support and they said that the hard drive might be bad and that I should try reformating it with the Windows XP disk.

I tried reinstalling Win XP. The first time I reformated the disk, it took several hours, but the program would not install. The second time, it also took several hours and I got a complex message about some problems. A short version of the highlights of the info is included below.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Technical info:

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE10226D4, 0xC000009C, 0xBF9A5046, 0x02CE8860)

Physical memory dumped.

I have two questions: Should I simply try one more time to reinstall Win XP?
    Is it possible to reformat the hard drive in DOS mode resulting in any bad sectors being isolated as unusable but the rest of the drive space being formated as usable?

sorry this is so confusing. Hope it makes sense to someone...

2. barcar1

barcar1 Thread Starter

Sorry, this is actually a continuation--I'm not even sure if this is the right forum. I got some help from the Dell Forums at first but have not gotten any further.

The slow performance may be explained by this post. (Dell forum posting: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=250144)

Before you try another installation, press F12 at bootup and run the diagnostics on your hard drive. If it has failed there is no point to continually attempt to install XP.

If it hasn't failed, make sure you are following the steps here during installation.
    (http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm#Install -- reference from Dell Forum moderator).

Next message:

sorry, I forgot to tell you that I ran the diagnostics before and found some areas of the memory 'failed' the test.

I will try checking the BIOS compatible thing because it has taken hours each time I try the reformat with the Win XP disk.

I will also retry with everything unplugged.

Any ideas about the DOS mode format? One of my friends said it is possible but I don't know how.

Thanks.
    barcar1

Next message:

I went into the BIOS but could not find a place where there was a CPU configuration. In any case, the clock time and date were correct but there was no option to change anything but the actual time and date.

I also tried rerunning the Win XP disk with everything disconnected except the keyboard, mouse and monitor. After 2 tries giving me a message that there is no hard drive on my computer, I now have received a message:

STOP: c0000135 Unknown Hard Error

Unknown Hard Error

any hints? The BIOS says there is a hard drive.

barcar1

Next message:

I tried a new approach last night. When I booted with the win XP disk, I chose 'Recover or Repair' rather than install. I arrrived at a DOS prompt. I tried to reformat the disk. The disk formatted and when i came back this morning, it said that it was 100% complete.

I then tried to reboot from the Win XP disk and reinstall Win XP. After choosiing install, i got the same message as before, that there is no hard drive. I did go back to the recovery mode and ran a chkdsk. The message said that there were some bad sectors but did not elaborate. I don't remember enough DOS to figure out anything else on my own.

Please help. Is it possible that I accidentally changed something in the BIOS when i was reviewing all of the settings? I tried to be careful not to, but it is always possible to accidentally hit a wrong key.

Thanks

barcar1

Sorry this is so long. Since it's sort of a weird problem I thought it might be helpful to know what had been suggested and tried.

I really would appreciate any help. I don't even know if this is a hardware or software problem at this point.

barcar1

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have hardware failures, you need to fix them FIRST before you attempt to reinstall XP.

4. qldit

qldit

Good Morning barcar1, when you have a problem like this you need to carefully check your hard drive.
    A most interesting scanner called HDDRegenerator is available here to try,
    http://www.dposoft.net/
    This downloads onto a windows machine and allows you to make a bootable CD or floppy disk.
    When you boot on this disk, it should present you with a DOS kind of screen and it you folow the default by just keep entering should initiate a scan on your hard drive.
    This will identify bad spots and attempt to fix one. ( a rerun may fix another)

If you can achieve a complete drive scan with no bads you can reload your windows system.

If you cannot achieve a decent clean drive, that presents a problem, windows needs a decent drive to operate properly and often when drives begin to fail it is an ongoing problem.

To be able to learn more about what you are actually doing you might try obtaining this Madboot Floppy image from
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/345398
    Use a decent new disk and you can make a nice bootable floppy with some helpful tools on it.

Boot on this disk, and you will see an array of technical tools. (be careful what you operate)
    If you use the Gdisk program you should be able to make the drive appear as FAT, if you can format it as fat you will be able to run the scandisk program which will show the actual state of your drive graphically when it gets to the surface check.

From collected intelligence using these kinds of programs you will determine if it is more convenient to simply obtain a new hard drive.
    Some drives have hundreds of "bads" and show a graphic like a "christmas tree" others may only have one or two minor recoverable areas.

You will find this exercise interesting and informative.

Cheers, qldit.

5. barcar1

barcar1 Thread Starter

Thanks qldit.

I do have a question about some of what you recommended. For the HDD Regenerator, you said that you can download it onto a 'windows' machine. Right now I have no windows screen and no way to connect to the internet on that computer. Should I download the program and save it to a cd, then take the cd to the broken machine and startup by booting to the HDDRegen disk?

Thanks.
    barcar1

6. dobbelina

dobbelina

Yes, exactly.
    If this happened to me however and the harddisk is anything older than 3 years, i'd have it replaced for a new one.
    They aren't that expensive these days.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon All, Hi dobbelina how are things in Thailand?
    Nice to see see you.

Yes barcar1, there is not really a great deal of people these days that can't access an online machine somewhere.

As dobbelina suggests a new drive is probably the easiest and simplest way out.
    But be careful with any size you select.

The path I suggested is leading in that general direction it just gives you confirmation of the situation.

Cheers, qldit.

8. dobbelina

dobbelina

Nice to see you to mate :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!