1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems reformatting

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Killer595, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Killer595

Killer595 Thread Starter

I was having trouble with my computer after my idiot computerguy reformatted (probably because of one of the drivers he downloaded), so I formatted myself (and saved $90). The only problem is I used a friend's windows98 disk because I thought I didn't have one of my own... but his disk didn't have the code with it. I found out I had a disk and popped it in... and put in that code. Problem: now my computer wants the other disk's code. I reformatted, but still nothing works. It just wants the other disk now. What should I do? What can I do?

2. marklab

marklab

You reformatted and still cannot use your disk?

Maybe another post I made will help!

<a href="http://forums.techguy.org/t119571/s.html" target="_blank">CLICK HERE</a>

3. Killer595

Killer595 Thread Starter

Sorry, that didn't help. I'm not sure, but I think what I have to do is erase master boot record (at least that's what my computergenius uncle said) but I don't remember how he said to go about doing that (and I can't call him back because I would be admitting I'm wrong :D ).

4. randyrayd

randyrayd

Have your friend download Belarc (it gives all system info on one screen, neat program to print out before you have a major crash). Under Software Licenses his current OS will be listed with the product key next to it. There's another way to find it, but I'm gettin' old and forgot.

You might have to reformat to use his product key if yours is recorded.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Randall

5. marklab

marklab

Killer. Fdisk has a switch that will recreate the MBR for you.

Fdisk /MBR

Here is a link that will give you most of the Fdisk switches you can use.

Click <a href="http://bharucha.com/tp701/fdiskSecrets.html" target="_blank">HERE</a>

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you reformatted, I don't see how it is still wanting the other cd's code......are you sure YOUR code is correct? And you are typing it correctly? It is easy to mistake zeros and 0's........

7. Killer595

Killer595 Thread Starter

It doesn't want the other guy's code, just his CD. The first time I tried with the friend's CD, 3 options showed up on DOS (excluding help). The first one sets up windows. But with the other CD, that option is not there.

8. ~Candy~

Sounds like your cd doesn't have a setup.exe file on it......what does the top of the cd say?

9. Killer595

Killer595 Thread Starter

The cd itself...? "for distribution with a new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC."

"Do not make illegal copies of this disc."

Dunno about the case though, if I find it I'll tell you. (my room isn't exactly the cleanest place in the world)

10. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like an OEM copy of Windows. Some Windows are printed to work only with the computer it came with. Is the CD you have the original one that came with your computer?

A retail copy of windows is (as far as I know) universal. That is, it can be installed in any Windows compatible computer.

11. ~Candy~

I'm not understanding how you know it wants the other disk?

12. Killer595

Killer595 Thread Starter

Um... what? Can you dumb that down a little for me...?

It is the original disk. It was sent with the computer from Boston from my computergenius uncle that built it. He walked me through the setup... but then I screwed something up and he told me what to do, but I kind of didn't listen.......... he said I'd have to reformat then erase master boot record. All I really need to know is how to do that... I think... unless he's not as smart as he claims to be... :eek:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice