1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems reinstalling IE7 after uninstalling IE8

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mommycat, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mommycat

mommycat Thread Starter

Something went wrong during the uninstall of IE8 and reinstall of IE7. Some IE8 updates still on control panel and I get a warning that if I attempt to uninstall, IE7 and Mozilla might not work. Partial IE7 installed, but doesn't run. I get asked if I want to open a file labeled IE7-WINDOWSXP-X86-enu.rar, which I don't know what it is and it doesn't work anyway and takes ages downloading. I run it and restart, and still no IE7. How do I get a full version of either IE back? Using Firefox now and it's bad on my computer--screen displays are horrendous, including this web site and Yahoo and almost all others. Am not a techie, so please be as simple as possible? Thanks so much..:)

2. Megabite

Megabite

You can see if there is a system Restore point to before you Uninstalled IE8

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Restore My Computer to An Earlier Time
    • Click Next
    • Pick a Date in Dark Blue only (pick a date to before you installed All-In-One)
    • Click Next
    • Then Next again.
    This should restore the PC to that time & date

It will update and restart

3. mommycat

mommycat Thread Starter

Thanks, Megabyte--I tried that but there is no system restore. Granted, the menu is in Italian, but I have used system restore on English Xp, so know where it is (and am a translator, which helps). But no go this time. I started from scratch, deleted ALL remnants of both 7 and 8 in Control Panel, and tried reinstalling, but I keep getting the IE7-WINDOWSXP-X86-enu.rar file which seems to install but doesn't. Any other suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice