1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems Repairing XP 0F00:0244

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by huni, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huni

huni Thread Starter

(This is another HD)
    -When I restarted XP I got UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    -I solved this with chkdsk /r- it found a lot of problems but it fixed it. At this point DELL dignstcs passes on the HD.
    -I’m tried to repair XP but when I get to the “Device Installation” I get “BAD_POOL_CALLER”
    - I think I fixed that.
    -Next thing after DELL start up page, I get XP loading (with the green thing moving) then screen goes black with the cursor visible then loops back to DELL start up.
    - I did HD diagnostics again, at this point it gives me “Error code 7”, I ran the DELL CD diagnostics, read test : 0F00:0244
    Verify: 0F00: 1A44
    Called DELL they said they can fix it for $99, I don’t have that much money right now.
    Could you guys help me?
    In worst case scenario I can wipe it and reinstall XP but I have some really important docs on it I want to save.

2. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

"Error code 7" is a fancy msg that translates to Your hard drive is dead.

"We'll fix it for $99" is Dell's ultra-fancy way of telling you "You as a consumer are a moron and will believe anything we tell you and will likely pay far more than the retail price for a new crappy maxtor hard drive."

Do yourself a favor and go out, spend about $70 and buy a Western Digital or Seagate hard drive.

The only hope I can offer to save this hard drive is reseat the data cable inside of the computer from your motherboard to your hard drive. Dont know how to do that? Call Dell but if the problem persists then you already know my answer..

3. huni

huni Thread Starter

somehow that's exactly why I felt i shouldn't fall for this $99, hey, I even got attitude when I declined!
    Thank you GTech

4. huni

huni Thread Starter

one more, any chance I can hook this up as a slave to extract documents?

5. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

Definitely worth a shot.

Reminder.. try reseating the drive before buying a new one.

6. huni

huni Thread Starter

ANd the last one... how can I make sure that if this was caused by a virus it doesn't spread to the master?

7. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

After transferring your DATA, you can always format the drive right from
    windows by going into My Computer and right-clicking on the slave drive.
    There are also ways to write zero's to the drive.. WDSCAN is one.. there
    are other utilities as well. Anyway.

8. huni

huni Thread Starter

thank you

9. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/395631