1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems resetting my home network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by valcansa, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valcansa

valcansa Thread Starter

Here is my network configuration:
    1. 2 pc's running windows xp pro with recent patches
    2. 1 pc running windows 98 se with recent patches
    3. belkin cable router connected to a cable modem
    4. Pc 1 has an inkjet printer connected to it and is shared
    5. pc 2 has a laser printer connected to it and is shared
    6. I've had these three pc's communicating in the past without any problems whatsoever.
    7. I made sure that all three pc's are in the same workgroup and also on the same network and subnet.

I had to reinstall my operating system on one of my pc's on my home network. AFter reinstalling windows xp pro, I assumed that the only thing I had to do was just add the pc back into my workgroup. No such luck. I had to run the home networking wizard on it and still couldn't connect. So I decided to run the wizard on all three of my pc's and again no such luck.

On my two xp pc's, computer number 2 can ping number 1 but number 1 can't ping 2, however, I can share the printer that is connected on number 2 with number 1. However, number 1 can't access number 2's shared files folder (I made sure that drive sharing is enabled). What would cause this? THe next problem is that I can't ping pc number 3 from either 1 or 2 but I can see 3's shared folder from number 1! WHat would cause this? The other thing is that pc #3 cannot ping 1 or 2 and therefore I can't install the shared printer connected to 1 and 2.

Also when I use the Find computer, I can only find the pc that I'm searching from (i.e., if I"m on pc #1 it won't find #2 or #3 and viceversa). The exception is that I was able to find PC #2 from #1 when using the find computer by typing in the ip address. However, I can't do the same from the other pc's).

My main question is I've never had a problem like this before and I'm wondering what the heck is causing the problem. My first thought is that maybe the router is malfunctioning, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing something in the configuration before purchasing another router.

HELP!! :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice