1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems ripping from CDs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by I.N.K, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I.N.K

I.N.K Thread Starter

I didn't know what topic section to place this in...because I'm not exactly sure what the problem is
    I am trying to make back-up copies of my comercial music CDs. Whenever I rip them off the CD, using my CD-R (which is set as my primary IDE device) It's a Lite On driver, 52x32x52x. I thought maybe it was a copy proctection issue, so I put in a CD I burned from mp3s and the same thing happend. When I rip them, and attempt to play them, my media player displays the following message "Cannot play back the file. format not supported"

Help ?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It sounds like you don't have an MP3 decoder, most likely a bad install of WMP, or perhaps some other application used to play MP3's and is now gone?

What version of WMP are you using?

3. I.N.K

I.N.K Thread Starter

The newest version I beleive. I thought it might be WMP that's the problem, so I tried to play it in Nero Media Player and I got the same warning. might there be some codec I can DL? If so, where's the best place to do it ?

4. RSM123

RSM123

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use WinAmp for my MP3 playing chores. :)

6. slipe

slipe

Since you refer to your CD recorder as a driver I think you should be more specific about how you are ripping and what you are ripping them to. If you are ripping them to MP3 and then recording them back to CDA wave you are losing a lot of quality and should change your methodology in any case.

The best way to back up a commercial audio CD is to use “Copy” from the Nero Express wizard. If you use the burner as both source and destination it will ask for a blank after it has made a temporary image on the CD. There is no “ripping” involved.

Some people rip to wave and then have the software convert back to CDA wave. There isn’t a loss in quality but there isn’t any reason to do it either. Unless an audio CD is copy protected there is no reason to do anything but copy it. If you just want specific tracks from multiple CDs select “Audio”. Nero will let you drag the tracks into the recording window and then ask for the CDs in turn when it records. You can also mix in MP3 tracks from the HD.

If you are just copying the CDs and misunderstand the term “rip”, then my guess is that you have a bad batch of CDs or are recording them faster than the media should support. Lite-On has been known to exceed the maximum capability of the media even with the auto analysis engaged. Don’t burn faster than the rated speed on the CD container and don’t disengage Smart-Burn. If you are using off-brand CDs you might try a slower speed than they are rated.

If you are recording as normal audio CDs and can play the originals, codecs and players are not the problem.

7. I.N.K

I.N.K Thread Starter

Exactly what I'm trying to do is open up the cd in explorer, highlight, copy, and paste onto my harddrive

8. RSM123

RSM123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice