1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems running add ons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AA26, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AA26

AA26 Thread Starter

Hello, I just installed Norton AntiVirus. Ever since then when I log on it says that internet explorer is running with add-ons disabled. Well when I manage the add-ons it says that they are in fact enabled, all of them. Could this have something to do with the AntiVirus I installed and if so how do I fix it? Thank you! :confused:

2. bingo24

bingo24

3. AA26

AA26 Thread Starter

Well, I contacted Norton and they admitted that Norton does not do well with internet explorer 7 or 8 so they told me to uninstall my 2008 version and they would give me 2009 for free . So I did. And it didn't work either :mad:. Unfortuntately even now that I've deleted both of those I still can't make the add ons run! I have heard of AVG though so maybe I will try that, thank you.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Norton - you have my sympathy.
    Norton is infamous for not uninstalling completely. One solution is to use their uninstaller which you can get here:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

You want the 2009 link. Ignore all the bumf and scroll down to the Download button. The other stuff is in case you want to reinstall one of their products (Yeah right!).

On some occasions even this will not clear everything and a Registry search for "Norton", "Symantec", or even just "sym" is needed, But don't attempt this without instruction if you're not familiar with Registry editing.

For now, see if the uninstaller does the job.

5. Michael York

Michael York

Hi aa26,
    This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding.

The most likely cause of the problem with Internet Explorer is due to an add-on that is not behaving correctly or is corrupt. Try disabling them one by one to see if you can find the culprit. Also, clean out all temporary internet files, etc from IE 7.

Have you tried to use Firefox 3 with the same Plug-ins to see if the issue still occurs? If not please download Firefox 3 and check the "Add-Ons." If this issue still persists then the problem could be at least partially related to a corrupted installation of NAV 09. If this is the case, then please follow the steps below.to properly remove and then reinstall the software.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly, and then reinstall Norton AntiVirus. Towards the end of the installation process, the LiveUpdate feature will automatically run and download and install updates to both the program files and definition files.

4. After the installation is complete, perform a "Full System Scan" with Norton AntiVirus 09 to check for infections.

If you still have problems with IE after a fresh install of Norton, then try resetting IE 7 to factory defaults.

Thanks,

Mike

6. Michael York

Michael York

Hi AA26,

There are no known issues with running Internet Explorer 7 along with Norton consumer products (8 is still in beta and not officially supported yet) . In an attempt to narrow down this issue, please download Firefox 3 and see if the problem still persists.

In terms of Internet Explorer 7, please try to reset the Security Zone settings to their default levels to see if that makes a difference. If you still have the problem, try disabling the add-ons one by one to determine the culprit.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you,
    Mike

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice