1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems setting up DSL / DHCP server unreachable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timxpx, Nov 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timxpx

timxpx Thread Starter

Hi

I've been looking all over the internet to try and resolve this, but I couldn't find a solution... here goes:

I've been unsuccessful in trying to set up my Verizon DSL connection. According to Verizon tech support, the phone line is fine and my problem in connecting lies at home.

The details:

-I haven't been able to run account setup for my DSL service because I'm getting a problem in connecting

-I'm running Win2k

-I'm connected to the DSL Modem with a Belkin NIC

-The connection shows that it's active, BUT it only sends packets, doesn't receive them.

-When I ran ipconfig, my ip was in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range, and Autoconfiguration Enabled read Yes

-When I went to release my IP, I got a message that said
    "All adapters bound to DHCP do not havee DHCP addresses. The addresses were automatically configured and can not be released."

-From the Microsoft web site, I followed instructions to disable APIPA found here ->microsoft support link

-Now ipconfig reads my ip as all zeros, and I get an error when I try to run the command /renew that says the DHCP server is unreachable

Help?
    Thanks in advance

Tim

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your IP address is all zeros, there is something wrong with that machine. Are you sure the cable and NIC are good?

4. utanja

utanja

have you been able to connect using a RAS client built into with out the router?

5. coulterp

coulterp

I suspect you don't want to be disabling APIPA and that you want the DSL modem to be acting as the DCHP server for the client PC. Thus as you are getting a 169.254.xxx.xxx range address the PC is not successfully acquiring the IP address from the DHCP server.
    Immediate suspects must therefore be the NIC or the cable. Or you sure these are both OK?
    Are you sure you are using the correct cable (a straight through and not a cross-over).

If you are 100% certain these are OK then I think you need to be getting onto you provider again to check they are really sure the line is OK.

6. prinsesa_24

prinsesa_24

check your dsl modem if it is using autosensing lan port, and check the connection type of your belkin adapter is set into fully auto. if the modem has autosense lan port , try setting the connection type of adapter into 10 or 100mbps. after restarting the computer check if it can do dhcp ip release/renew.

if this does not work, last option is to do static ip address and static dns in the adapter. you need to call your isp to get a static ip address and static dns.

7. smooth26

smooth26

if your pc is directly connected to the modem & you dont have internet access and the dsl people says that their side is okay,then you might need to check your nic card.ip's should not be 169.xxx.xxx or zeroes because that means its self-assigned by the os if it is not obtaining any from another device or from a dhcp server.to isolate the problem,try using a diffrent modem or use a different nic card to this dsl modem & see if it will connect.

8. coulterp

coulterp

Also check your cables!!
    Is the right cable ineach case (both from socket to modem and modem to PC)?
    Are you sure they both work? Have you tested them and found them to be OK on another PC? Or can you borrow known working cables from someone to try the setup with them?

9. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

1. Make sure that firwalls software or antivirus is not present
    if yes uninstall both and test again

2- Are you using PPOE software - which type - if you use winpoet try installing RASPPOE

If problem persist -
    Uninstall all networking protocols
    Uninstall network card drivers
    Reboot and test

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/179816