1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems shutting down, restarting, sleeping and switching on!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by meganjonez, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meganjonez

meganjonez Thread Starter

Hi,
    last week I purchased a new computer - (Medion Akoya All in One P4011D)

It was running smoothly until I noticed that when I put the computer to sleep it wouldn't sleep.
    I tried to wake it but it was frozen on a black screen - I restarted the computer and used it until I was done. After I was finished I restarted the computer as the webcam was now playing up and not recognized. The restart, failed and took AGES to turn off. When it finally did restart the following message appeared saying a blue screen error had occurred causing an unexpected shutdown.

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\122210-23275-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Jones\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-70496-0.sysdata.xml

Shut Down also has problems and doesn't shut down correctly and takes forever or sometimes just gets stuck on the 'Shutting Down' screen for hours!

Another thing that is failing to work on this computer is the System Restore, it is constantly coming up with a 'Critical Error' - I have tried various restore points and I keep on receiving the same response - System restore failed - Critical Error .

It also freezes when just browsing the internet!
    Any help would be appreciated,
    thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you "abused" it? I mean, installed some questionable programs or practiced unsafe surfing and maybe have a boatload of malware or something like that?

If not, or maybe even if so, it's surely still under warranty so I think you should contact the retailer or manufacturer.

3. meganjonez

Thanks for the reply.
    And no to be honest all I've downloaded is spotify, kaspersky Internet security and my printer drivers.

Im struggling to understand it - I have ran some scans with kaspersky and it hasn't picked any viruses up.

I wa thinking about returning, I'm not sure if they will though. Theyll probably offer to repair it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That would be fine. :) That's what you are trying to do by posting here.

It sounds to me like there could be multiple software problems or one or more hardware issues with the memory or hard drive or motherboard.

As soon as you power on begin tapping the F8 key. That should result in a menu that will allow you to boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. If you don't have any of the problems when running in Safe Mode then probably the cause(s) lie in software. But if any of the issues continue in Safe Mode then probably it is hardware.

5. meganjonez

Yeah although I don't really feel like waiting however long they will take to repair etc - they mentioned there may be costs.

If I could fix it myself, it would be much easier.

I am just thinking of reformatting it tbh - and see how it goes from there.

I will try the safe mode now, thanks for the help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice