problems shutting down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nicknick

ok I run windows 98 on a 450 mhz celeron processor. i have a voodoo 3 graphics card, 128 mb ram, and I think that is all the necessary information...

just a few days ago, I went to start>shutdown and clicked ok to shut down the computer. normally, I would hear the shutdown music, immediately and the computer wold shut itself off. however, a few days ago I hear no music at all, and the computer is not doing anything at all (it isn't working, or 'thinking', no lights are blinking) and then probably 10-15 seconds AFTER I have clicked 'ok to shut down computer' I get an error message that says this:

WIN95 RPC Wmsg Window

The screen also tells me that I can wait 20 seconds, End task, or Cancel.

If I wait 20 seconds, nothing seems to happen and I hold down the power button to shut down manually.

If I cancel, nothing seems to happen and I then hold down the power button to shut down manually.

If I click END TASK, then I hear the shutdown music, and the computer does shut down.

The message is odd in itself. I run win98, yet it says win95...

I am not on a server of any sort and this is a home computer. PLEASE HELP...

nicknick

one more thing...I am not sure if I have Windows 98 or windows 98se...when i right click on my computer and select properties, all it says is
Microsoft Windows 98

You have Windows 98, not 98 SE. I recommend you try Windows Help and search on Troubleshooting Shutdown. Also use the Search option on this forum as your problem has been discussed many times in the past. Once you tried them and need more help please let us know.

When you go to start/ shut down... the window comes up to restart or shutdown.... at that time hold down the shift key while making the last selection ........til it does shutdown.
See if that will help.

Savvy :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online