1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems signing in to Playstation Network

Discussion in 'Games' started by jimmy174, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmy174

jimmy174 Thread Starter

Hi, I have just been sent a new router through Orange (my ISP), it is the Netgear N150 DGN1000 model. However, since I have set it up I am having real problems signing in on my PS3, even though the PSN servers are fully operational. The error code I keep getting is a DNS error (80710102). I have changed the security to WEP rather than WPA which allows me to sign in every now and again rather than never, but even when I do get signed in, the connection is terrible in comparison to what it used to be. If anyone can help that would be great, cheers :)

2. amishbr07

amishbr07

I have the same router and had similar problems last year. The first thing you should check if your router is up to date with the latest firmware. Type in routerlogin.net into your web browser address bar. Then check router status and look for firmware version. If the last two digits are less than 40 then you should check this site and download the latest update

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12208

Then go to the same router status page and click router upgrade and choose file and then find the file you downloaded. My router would not download the update when I checked for updates itself so I had to do it manually. If this does not fix the problem then try the next steps.

First you should set up a static IP for your ps3 (talk to sony customer service and router people). Then forward these ports to this static IP.(talk to router people) Or you can set up your ps3 as DMZ (talk to router people)

3. jimmy174

jimmy174 Thread Starter

I have upgraded my router using the steps you mentioned, however, when I check whether it has worked on the router status area where it shows the firmware version it does not show the new firmware version. It still has the firmware version V2.1.00.39_RG despite downloading and installing one where the last two digits are 41. Any ideas?

I have also already tried creating a static IP for my PS3 but it didn't work as my brother also has a PS3 on the router. I have already forwarded the port 3074 as suggested by Orange. As for the DMZ port when I tick that box it still doesn't let me alter the IP address box I want to assign it to.

4. amishbr07

amishbr07

When you login into your router settings page go to LAN setup. On the bottom you should have address reservation. On your ps3 Goto the configuration category in the XMB, Scroll down to System Settings, Scroll down to System Information and find the MAC address. Now under LAN setup under address reservation click add. Enter the MAC address for your ps3 and the IP address you wish your ps3 to use (use some high numbers like 199.168.0.180 etc.) and enter the device name to whatever you want.

Now to set up your ps3 follow the steps listed

Go back to Settings | Network Settings on the XMB.

4. Select Internet Connection Settings, select Yes when a confirmation screen is displayed stating that you will be disconnected from the Internet.

5. Select Wired Connection or Wireless. Adjust each item as necessary for the particular network environment in use. The items displayed will vary depending on the settings you select.

6. Select Custom.

7. For Ethernet Operation Mode select Auto-Detect.

8. For IP Address Setting select Manual.

9. Now for the IP address enter what you reserved earlier on your router setup page

10. Now for subnet mask and Default router look under router status LAN port section

11. For the DNS Settings select Manual.

12. Look for Domain Name Server under the same router status page and enter these into primary and secondary respectively.

13. MTU - Leave set to Automatic

14. Proxy Server select Do Not Use

15. UPnP make sure and set it to Enable (this is a very important setting).

Since I dont have a ps3 I dont know what these menus are called and look like exactly.

After this is set up we can begin forwarding ports so let me know how this goes.

5. amishbr07

amishbr07

For the router upgrade, if you are in north america make sure you download the one for north american users only. If you dont live in North America then I recommend you talk to your netgear customer support, the phone support for Netgear for the first month or so is free

6. jimmy174

jimmy174 Thread Starter

yeh ive alredy done all the custom setup manually on the ps3 as well as port forwarding and none of it seems to have worked. i think it is just a crap router to be honest as it is bottom of the range which we were sent for free by Orange, as our other one kept cutting out. i did try the router upgrade for world wide users rather than the north american option originally and it would not install whatever i tried, absolute pain

7. amishbr07

amishbr07

So you did try the correct version for the router upgrade?

And if you did then it is most likely the router. We got a router from Comcast and I set up everything with ports and static IP only to find that my xbox never got full bars even when the router was in the same room. So I got a better connection and saw results right aways and I havent turned back since

8. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

Try doing an Auto setup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice