Solved Problems starting computer - no display

Jason1972

Hello Everyone, I don't know if this is the right place for this Thread but it was the closest to find of my problem.
My computer specs are, Asus Rog Strix Gaming motherboard, I-9 intel 9000k processor, Invidia GeForce 2080 RTX graphics card. 2 1t M2 SSD, 32gigs of DD3 Trident memory. Power supply is a off brand 990watt. The problem is today on Start up if the computer my monitor was not displaying anything, The computer was on al the lights and fans were running but nothing on the monitor. I put the monitor on my play station and it worked just fine. so I put the monitor back on my computer from the Motherboard HDMI instead of the graphics card and it came on after a very long boot, but my computer went straight to BIOS. so i turned it off booted again the same thing,. I got looking online for a fix and read it could be the CMS battery and read to pull it out and reinstall it, which I did and now my computer still takes 4 minutes to boot in the load screen, not windows. but the manufacture screen, and now has a American threads screen which tells me there Is a post failure and to reset settings in BIOS. The OS I am running is Windows 11. Any help with this would be great. I have tried everything I know how to do, so I am at a loss. The only screen I am getting on my computer is American Megatrends. telling me to press F1 to go into bios nothing else. First time to ever see this.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your post is VERY hard to read

It is a continuous line of words.

Please separate it as this example into paragraphs

By that I mean with some spacing.

I appreciate that you cannot run the system spec utility to provide details of your system. However the folowing details are insufficient

, Asus Rog Strix Gaming motherboard
which one please provide exact model details and preferably a link to it.

I-9 intel 9000k processor,
which i9 on the 9000K series please

32gigs of DD3 Trident memory.
Are you SURE it is DDR3 ram
I would expect it to be DDR4 if it is an i9 -9000 series.

Power supply is a off brand 990watt.
Please provide the full make and model

The OS I am running is Windows 11.
Is this from the offered upgrade from 10 to 11 - within Windows update OR from where please have you installed it.
and when did you change to 11.

6. Have you
and now has a American threads screen which tells me there Is a post failure and to reset settings in BIOS.
reset BIOS - settings after checking them for any erroneous setting

As after changing CMOS battery that is what you need to do.
If you are unsure as to what setings are appropriate - reset to optimal defaults

Jason1972

Your post is VERY hard to read

It is a continuous line of words.

Please separate it as this example into paragraphs

By that I mean with some spacing.

I appreciate that you cannot run the system spec utility to provide details of your system. However the folowing details are insufficient

which one please provide exact model details and preferably a link to it.

which i9 on the 9000K series please

Are you SURE it is DDR3 ram
I would expect it to be DDR4 if it is an i9 -9000 series.

Please provide the full make and model

Is this from the offered upgrade from 10 to 11 - within Windows update OR from where please have you installed it.
and when did you change to 11.

6. Have you

reset BIOS - settings after checking them for any erroneous setting

As after changing CMOS battery that is what you need to do.
If you are unsure as to what setings are appropriate - reset to optimal defaults
Yes sorry hard to read, i am nervous and don't write all that great, I will send a screen shot with most of the information and what is happening maybe with that you can help me.

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Answer my questions please on points 1 to 6

I can now see the procesor and the fact that it is DDR4 ram as suspected, so you may ignore those.

PSU details
Confirm motherboard model please
Confirm re 11 - was it upgrade from 10 etc

Re connecting to the HDMI on the motherboard I/O rather than the grpahics in firmware - BIOS setup
Configure
Primary display as integrated graphics

It willl not display without that being set whilost the card the 2080 is still in the system.

Last edited:

Jason1972

Answer my questions please on points 1 to 6

I can now see the procesor and the fact that it is DDR4 ram as suspected, so you may ignore those.

PSU details
Confirm motherboard model please
Confirm re 11 - was it upgrade from 10 etc

Re connecting to the HDMI on the motherboard I/O rather than the grpahics in firmware - BIOS setup
Configure
Primary display as integrated graphics

It willl not display without that being set whilost the card the 2080 is still in the system.
My computer Case is, be quiet! Dark Base PRO 900 Orange Rev. 2, Full Tower ATX, 3 Pre-Installed Silent Wings 3 Fans, BGW14, Tempered Glass Window, RGB LED Illumination

My Computer Motherboard is,

Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 802.11AC Wi-Fi

Mt computer CPU is, Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

My computer Graphics card is, ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 Super Triple Fan 8GB GDDR6 256-bit 15.5Gbps Gaming Graphics Card, IceStorm 2.0, Active Fan Control, Spectra Lighting, ZT-T20820H-10P

My computer Memory is G.Skill 16GB DDR4 Trident Z Royal Silver 3600Mhz PC4-28800 CL18 1.35V Dual Channel Kit (2x8GB) I have 2 sets.

I have 2 SDD-

Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology,

My power supply is,

Apevia ATX-SN900W Signature 900W 80+ Bronze Certified Active PFC ATX Modular Gaming Power Supply,

The computer was running fine 2 days ago, things I have done, I have plugged the HDMI to the onboard Graphics, I can see the monitor doing this, but the boot is still very slow 2 to 3 mins to boot up, and it always boots into the American Megatrends safe mode. as the picture. I can boot into windows, but I have to go into the boot Manager and click on the windows boot to make it boot into windows, If I turn off the computer it goes back to the American megatrends.

The windows 11 I got was the Dev windows insider Addition. I got it from the windows update Page. I have had it since launch no problems until now.

I would also like to point out I just noticed the Dram led light is on at power up, it's Orange and stays on. But my Memory has been fine all this time, So I don't know if that is a problem or not. At this point there is no display on the monitor at all, nothing for the last 10 mins. My keyboard has no power on it either. The fans in the case are running all leds in the case are running but nothing on monitor. I have the HDMI plugged into the Motherboard HDMI slot and nothing. Hour ago this all worked now nothing.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please see section 1-1-6 of the online motherboard manual
E14841_ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf (asus.com)
that is page 25 of the online pdf document and follow the procedure oultined for the DRAM LED

If that does not work you may try taking out ONE of the 8gb sticks and running on one stick
please see section 1.1.4 of the manual page 22
and put that one stick in slot A2 which is the last of the four sticks from the processor
TRY both sticks ONE at a time.

IT MAYBE if you have for some other reason opened the case that the DRAM LED is lit because the ram stick/s are not inserted fully as explained on the mentioned page 25 of the manual, but more likely in your case appears to be a bad ram stick

Jason1972

Please see section 1-1-6 of the online motherboard manual
E14841_ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf (asus.com)
that is page 25 of the online pdf document and follow the procedure oultined for the DRAM LED

If that does not work you may try taking out ONE of the 8gb sticks and running on one stick
please see section 1.1.4 of the manual page 22
and put that one stick in slot A2 which is the last of the four sticks from the processor
TRY both sticks ONE at a time.

IT MAYBE if you have for some other reason opened the case that the DRAM LED is lit because the ram stick/s are not inserted fully as explained on the mentioned page 25 of the manual, but more likely in your case appears to be a bad ram stick
Thank you for the reply, I did what was requested, I pulled the ram out then put one in. The computer didn't do nothing, So I put the Ram back in and the led Light went from Orange to Green after the checks and I able to boot again. this was short lived. Back at the Bios, my Monitor got all staticky, So I checked the HDMI connection all good, and turned off the pc. Tried to turn it back on and the same problem as before, the DRAM led is on Orange and it's not booting in BIOS at this time.

my Next step will be to put in some old Ram I have and see if I can at least boot back into Bios, I have a picture of the American megatrends the last time I was able to boot, I'll post it.

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So I put the Ram back in and the led Light went from Orange to Green after the checks and I able to boot again. this was short lived
When you say you were able to boot, but it was short lived, do you mean that Windows loaded OR do you mean that the computer simply posted and went to the BIOS screen.

Jason1972

When you say you were able to boot, but it was short lived, do you mean that Windows loaded OR do you mean that the computer simply posted and went to the BIOS screen.
Yes the computer posted with the American megatrends screen, the post is the picture I sent. I am about to chalk this up as a bad motherboard maybe, do you know a way i could test this to be 100% sure. so far nothing i have been is working, and they computer seems to be worse by the day.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It COULD possibly be the power supply which is of rather poor quality
HOWEVER I do not suggest you buy another, if however you could possibly test it with a borrowed one, from a find a friend or colleague.

Try this
Shut down
DISCONNECT POWER CORD
Wait three to four minutes
Reconnect power cord
power on.

If still the same press the reset button - not the power button on the tower the smaller reset button.

If that does not work refer back to the manual and see section
1.1.7 page26
clear ram
- short pins
NOTE
Disconnnect power cord before shorting pins.

Then reconnect power cord
power on
enter setup

load optimized defaults and save and exit.

Reboot computer and see what happens now.

Jason1972

It COULD possibly be the power supply which is of rather poor quality
HOWEVER I do not suggest you buy another, if however you could possibly test it with a borrowed one, from a find a friend or colleague.

Try this
Shut down
DISCONNECT POWER CORD
Wait three to four minutes
Reconnect power cord
power on.

If still the same press the reset button - not the power button on the tower the smaller reset button.

If that does not work refer back to the manual and see section
1.1.7 page26
clear ram
- short pins
NOTE
Disconnnect power cord before shorting pins.

Then reconnect power cord
power on
enter setup

load optimized defaults and save and exit.

Reboot computer and see what happens now.
Sir I would to do all of this, but the only thing that comes on, on my computer is the leds and fans nothing else, no monitor, no keyboard nothing. I can't go into any kind of setup I don't see anything on my monitor. The only time I could see anything was recently when I did the memory swap and put back, but it was only until i turned the computer off right after it was not showing anything again. I have another pc but not at home, its at work, once i get that one I can try some test with power supply i have in it. But From what i have been reading it sounds like my motherboard is dead or going out.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well - who knows at this stage it could be the board, the cpu, the psu, or indeed the ram
My feeling at this stage is the PSU

Jason1972

Well - who knows at this stage it could be the board, the cpu, the psu, or indeed the ram
My feeling at this stage is the PSU
Thank you for the reply, I surly hope that is all it is, I can fix that pretty easy and less cost than buying a new motherboard. I just wish there was a way to know for sure. I ordered me a new power supply and we will see how it goes in a few days thank you for your advice, and I hope this works out. I'll give a update in a few days

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My advice is to start with the PSU, but as I said - that is NOT a suggestion to buy one at this stage

Jason1972

Thank you for the reply, I surly hope that is all it is, I can fix that pretty easy and less cost than buying a new motherboard. I just wish there was a way to know for sure.
My advice is to start with the PSU, but as I said - that is NOT a suggestion to buy one at this stage
I did a power supply test today with the paper clip, the fans on the power supply turn and the led lights up. I have read this is a good test and if the fans run the power supply is good. So i might be moving on to mother board

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online