1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems starting Win Me in Normal Mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tigger, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

Hi Gang:

My system froze yesterday and my daughter had to shut the PC off the wrong way and now it was only starting in Safe Mode. Following the instructions outlined in Help and Support, I went into msconfig and deselected the options of loading the system.ini, win.ini, static vxd and startup groups. This allowed the PC to boot in normal mode. The Help and Support is not very clear on what to do next so I was wondering before I take another step, is there anything that anyone can suggest that may be causing me not to be able to boot? Also, I usually run Norton Windoctor once a month or so, and was wondering if anyone thought that running that would assist me? I was not sure beings that right now I am running my PC in normal mode but without the above forementioned startup features.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Joel

2. pvc9

pvc9

If this happened yesterday, a registry restore might help.

To restore registry in case of Windows ME you'll need a bootdisk. You can create one by downloading the program for Windows ME from Windows Boot Disks

You can also create the bootdisk by -

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Startup Disk->Create Disk. You will need the Windows ME CD for this procedure.

Create the bootdisk, start the computer with a bootdisk, select Command Prompt and type -

scanreg /restore [enter]

Select yesterday's date and restore. See if that helps.

3. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

OK, The scanreg/restore did not do anything. It told me that it was a bad command or filename. I went back to the Help & Support and followed the instructions outlined there. It told me to go back to msconfig and turn each item line on one at a time until the computer does not boot properly to eliminate which line is causing the problem.

I did this and found that the line causing the problem resides in the Static VxD section of my startup. It is the NDIS.vxd. So now my PC boots properly with this line unchecked. The situation now is that my internet does not work because the absence of said driver. In my Control Panel, Device manager reports all my dial up adapters, NIC card, etc to not be functioning due to the absence of the NDIS driver. It recommends running setup to repair corrupted file. So, is that really the answer to the problem? Is my NDIS corrupt and if so, if I run Windows Me setup, will thatcorrect the problem and leave all my other programs intact?

Again, I appreciate any help that you can give..

Joel

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) If scanreg gave you bad file name you forgot to switch to your C:| drive because its there.

2) what do you use for internet access?..if AOL, then reinstall AOL. if not, then are you using ICS(Internet Connection Sharing). If so, then disable it, reboot, then reenable it.

link here to info.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q241255

If that doesnt resolve the issue then you can

1) reinstall ME inside itself(no settings lost)
    2) post the full text of the error message that appears when you try to boot with this file enabled so we can see what its doing.

5. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

I am using Comcast High Speed Internet. Incidentally, when I booted with the bootdisk, I did switch to the C: prompt. As I said, everything is running fine with the exception of internet because the system properties say that my NDIS driver is not present. This is because I have turned it off in my msconfig's Static VXDs. If I enable it again, the PC locks up during boot.

Joel

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!