1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems switching files from old HD to new HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeffmack01, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeffmack01

jeffmack01 Thread Starter

I recently got a new pc with an 80gig HD and it runs WinXP. I would like to take my movie and music files from my old 30gig HD (on a pc that runs Win 98), but I keep hitting brick wall after brick wall.

As of now, I've connected the old HD. They are correctly set to primary master and slave on BIOS. My device manager detects the other HD, but I can't access it. It doesn't even have a partition name (is that a correct term?) like E drive.

When I right click on the drive, all options that I want are greyed out. The only thing available is "Delete Partition."

I need to know if what I'm trying to do is even possible, and if so, what am I doing wrong, or not doing. Any help at all is very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Jeff

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

If you don't need the cd-rom drives for a while, set the old one to master and put it on the secondary ide controller and see if it recognizes it that way.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you know if the 30GB HDD was formated with Overlay software? Usually its used to overcome a BIOS hard drive limitation.

Setting it up on the secondary IDE by itself is a great idea - make sure you move the jumper back to Master. Also make sure it is recognized correctly in the BIOS.

4. jeffmack01

I set up the old HD where the cd-rom was setup. BIOS acknowledged it as secondary master, but the disk manager still treated it the same way. Any other suggestions?? Does perhaps the fact that the old uses Win 98, and the new uses XP create a problem with retrieving data?

By the way, I have no idea what Overlay software is, so I can't answer that question. Thanks again.

5. Rockn

Rockn

Is your primary partition using NTFS? What was the file system on the old drive? Are you using an 80 conductor IDE cable or the older ATA style cable connecting your old hard drive?

6. jeffmack01

Yes, the primary partition is using NTFS. The old HD was a FAT32 file system, and I don't know how to tell which type of cable is being used. Its a brand new machine if that helps you get an idea what cable is there.

7. jeffmack01

bump.

Anyone else have any other ideas on what might help me here?

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Look at the drive under Computer management in XP.

Right click "My Computer" icon on desktop, select Manage, and the Computer management window will appear
    Select Storage, Disk Management (local).

What does it say there?

9. SacsTC

SacsTC

Sounds like it has not been formatted:
    Right click on my computer, manage, expand storage, click on disk management. If your drive is there, right click on the long white section and format the drive. Make sure you click on the proper drive: NOT the C drive

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is the 98 drive bootable?

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I think the whole idea here is that he wants to migrate the files that are on his old drive to his new drive. Unless I missed something in the translation here.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have a cdrw in your old computer, you could always copy the files to CD-RW discs and then put them in your new computer and copy them to your new hard drive that way. Not exactly the answer you are looking for, I know but hey if all else fails, etc.....

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Yep, I believe that is the case. We just have to figure out why XP isn't seeing the 98 drive ;) If it's bootable, perhaps we can try booting up with it to see if there is a software overlay loading.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/196238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice