1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems that are a possible rootkit...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by moebob24, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moebob24

moebob24 Thread Starter

I know this is a long post but I am really nervous about this and need some help :(
    Stick with me here on the post and read it all to understand.

Before I start let me explain that last few hours. I uninstalled my anti-virus then reinstalled it. Then found that I reinstalled it for nothing. Backed up my hard drive to an external drive and finally restored my computer to exactly 7 days ago.

Now let me explain the reasons and my question.
    I noticed a few days ago that when I booted my computer my hard drive would never stop "thinking" after the start up procedures completed. You know the LED light that signals your computer is "thinking" along with the sound of the hard drive running. I thought this was strange because I wasn't doing anything...:confused: After about 30mins. this would stop. (y) I still thought this was strange so I went to do a virus scan. (by the way I use Trend Micro...and I am not happy with it) About 1/3 of the way through this scan, the software crashes...the anti-virus software crashed!
    Check out these screen shot.
    The scan stopped and it took me to the screen where it showed 4 items...
    one of which was a key logger as you can see.
    I kind of freaked out because I had been logging on to all sorts of accounts and I didn't know how long this had been here for.
    I restarted my computer and ran the scan again. IT CRASHED IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT!!!!
    So then I was beginning to think it was the Anti-virus itself. Thats when i uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I ran the scan again AND IT CRASHED AGAIN IN THE SAME SPOT!!!!!!!!
    This really pissed me off. I then grabbed my external drive and backed up anything I cared about in case something happened to the computer. While things where backing up I went ahead and installed Spybot thinking maybe I could get rid of the damn keylogger. I installed it and ran that. It was interrupted 3 times "by the user" which is really weird since I didn't stop the scan. Thats when I decided to take some major steps. I picked a restore point exactly 7 days ago from November 8th 2007. When the computer rebooted after the restore my computer did NOT do the "thinking" thing as mentioned above.

Now for my questions...:D
    Is the crashed anti-virus due to a rootkit protecting itself by disabling my anti-virus?

Are the interrupted Spybot scans due to a rootkit protecting itself?

Did the system restore eradicate any possible rootkit from my system if there was (or still is) one present?

I'm sorry for the long post but I want to be sure of all these things before I really do something major like wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall the OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice