Problems trying to reinstall Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TamayraS

I received a dell dimension 2400 desktop from work, that had been cleaned out and all files deleted. I am trying to reinstall with my windows xp operating disk that came with a the same exact desktop i already had. I changed it to boot with OS/DVD. I still keep getting the message "Strike F1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility" no matter what i do. Any suggestions?

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya TamayraS.

Just a couple of things to check before getting too frustrated. When you enter BIOS, (setup utility), is the CD/DVD drive recognised? While you`re in there, double check that it`s set to boot from that as first boot and the hard drive as second boot.

Another thing to try if for some reason, everything is okay in BIOS but still not booting from optical disk is to press F11 (or is it F12) to get into the manually chosen boot menu and highlight CD/DVD before hitting Enter.

If you do manage to get it installed and you`ve already got a currently running system from the same disk, you might have a problem activating it if it`s designed to be a single user version.

Jenny

TamayraS

i have tried all of the above and still get the "Strike F1 to retry boot,f2 for f2 set up utility

Does that pc have two CD/DVD drives? If so, try with the install disc in the other drive

If you do not see a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD" then either the installation disc or the drive is faulty

Hermitt43

Jim
@TamayraS:
You might want to wipe your HD and Clean Install XP.
Here's the software I use (Download the free Bootable ISO and burn it to a CD).

Jim
-

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya TamayraS.

Just to make sure the disk is okay, running it on another computer. You can try booting from it (preferable) but obviously not too far or just pop it in the drive at desktop level and see if the front-end menu appears. At least that`ll confirm the disk is good.

If you know someone with another computer, take your hard drive out and slave it to the other machine, then format it using the host machine operating system and put it back into your own with the newly formed knowledge that the hard drive can be seen and doesn`t contain errors. (The host machine should pick up on any dodgy sectors).

After doing those two things, it comes down to whether the drive/s themselves are okay or not and again, if you have the opportunity, slave those to the other machine and see if they read the disk.

Jenny

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts