1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems trying to reinstall Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TamayraS, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TamayraS

TamayraS Thread Starter

I received a dell dimension 2400 desktop from work, that had been cleaned out and all files deleted. I am trying to reinstall with my windows xp operating disk that came with a the same exact desktop i already had. I changed it to boot with OS/DVD. I still keep getting the message "Strike F1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility" no matter what i do. Any suggestions?

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya TamayraS.

Just a couple of things to check before getting too frustrated. When you enter BIOS, (setup utility), is the CD/DVD drive recognised? While you`re in there, double check that it`s set to boot from that as first boot and the hard drive as second boot.

Another thing to try if for some reason, everything is okay in BIOS but still not booting from optical disk is to press F11 (or is it F12) to get into the manually chosen boot menu and highlight CD/DVD before hitting Enter.

If you do manage to get it installed and you`ve already got a currently running system from the same disk, you might have a problem activating it if it`s designed to be a single user version.

Jenny

3. TamayraS

TamayraS Thread Starter

i have tried all of the above and still get the "Strike F1 to retry boot,f2 for f2 set up utility

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Does that pc have two CD/DVD drives? If so, try with the install disc in the other drive

If you do not see a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD" then either the installation disc or the drive is faulty

5. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    @TamayraS:
    You might want to wipe your HD and Clean Install XP.
    Here's the software I use (Download the free Bootable ISO and burn it to a CD).

Jim
    -

6. TamayraS

TamayraS Thread Starter

it does have 2 cd/drives and i tried both.

7. TamayraS

TamayraS Thread Starter

how do i burn it? Sorry not very computer savy!

8. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
  9. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya TamayraS.

Just to make sure the disk is okay, running it on another computer. You can try booting from it (preferable) but obviously not too far or just pop it in the drive at desktop level and see if the front-end menu appears. At least that`ll confirm the disk is good.

If you know someone with another computer, take your hard drive out and slave it to the other machine, then format it using the host machine operating system and put it back into your own with the newly formed knowledge that the hard drive can be seen and doesn`t contain errors. (The host machine should pick up on any dodgy sectors).

After doing those two things, it comes down to whether the drive/s themselves are okay or not and again, if you have the opportunity, slave those to the other machine and see if they read the disk.

Jenny

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice