1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems updating bios....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luomo, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Luomo

Luomo Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I tried to look for the proper solution to this problem, but I am not having the best luck. I have an ASUS P2L97 motherboard (old I know!) with a PII 233, 512 RAM, 120GB HD.....anyway, I attempted to download the bios update from the ASUS site and I tried following the exact instructions for using the AFLASH.EXE program, but next to "flash memory:" it says "UNKNOWN" and according to the instructions:

"IMPORTANT ! If "unknown" is displayed after Flash Memory:, the memory chip is either not programmable or is not supported by the ACPI BIOS and therefore, cannot be programmed by the Flash Memory Write utility."

as written here: http://www.asus.com/support/english/techref/bios/index.aspx

So does this mean that I can't update my bios? Or is there another way around this?
    Oh yeah, I am also having the same problem (as I have seen in other threads) with the PCI bridge being yellow flagged in device manager. And I have not yet been able to get a PCI modem to be recognized on that system, only an ISA....even though other PCI devices are installed.
    If time is money than I can definitely afford a new motherboard and processor by now!!!
    Thank you everyone in advance for your help :) (y)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think I'd proceed with the burning process seeing that message. :)

If the BIOS chip is removable, and you can find someone with a FLASH programmer, you can program it out of the machine.

3. Luomo

Luomo Thread Starter

Well, I appreciate the help (Johnwill, this time), but I finally listened to reason and bought a new motherboard and processor. Everything isn't peachy yet though! I am sure that I will be posting back with new equipment operating issues when the components do get here : )

Talk with you guys soon.......

4. suesman

suesman

Best of luck to you with the new stuff. One bit of info I can give you on that issue is, check all connections & that all cards are seated correctly, then check it again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!