1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems upgrading AOL software to 9.0 Optimized

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by FullRange311, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FullRange311

FullRange311 Thread Starter

I've been trying to upgrade the AOL software on my girlfriend's computer from 7.0 to 9.0 optimized, and everytime I run the setup, it goes till about 85% and then it just stops and the following message comes up:

Thank you for trying America Online. We're sorry that you have decided not to install the America Online software at this time. We invite you to install the AOL software again at your earliest convenience.

If you have questions about installing the AOL software, connecting to the AOL Service or registering your account, please call 1-866-489-4698.

You can Print or Save this information by clicking on the appropriate buttons below.

Two easy ways to start AOL installation again:

1. Just click on the "Retry AOL 9.0" icon on your Windows desktop.

2. If you installed America Online from a CD-ROM, remove it from your CD drive. When you are ready to try again, just put the America Online CD-ROM back into the CD drive and installation will begin automatically.

Follow the easy instructions to install AOL, and if prompted, enter the registration number and password found in your AOL software kit.

Thanks again for trying! We hope to see you online soon.

Another thing that may be of interest is that I've also been trying to upgrade her Real One software so she can watch music videos and stuff, and everytime I download that upgrade, it can never carry out the installation cuz it says there are problems. I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem with the AOL or Real One software, but a problem that lies somewhere on the computer. If anyone has any suggestions or help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Are you upgrading AOL from a disc or using the online download to upgrade?

3. FullRange311

I am using the download to upgrade.

4. Cheeseball81

I doubt calling their Customer Service will be of any help...

Usually AOL discs are free. They have them in stores like K-Mart, or Target, Circuit City, etc. - right by the register.

Most people recommend upgrading from the disc, rather than the online download. Cause if you ever had to reinstall the software, you have the disc handy.

What version of Windows is your girlfriend using?

Which version of Real Player are you trying to upgrade too as well?
    She can also watch videos in Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Winamp

5. FullRange311

Yeah, I'll probably end up just picking up a disc for her. Anyways, she's running Windows XP, and the reason I'm concerned with the RealOne instead of just using the other multimedia players is because she was trying to watch some videos on MTV.com, and they were using RealOne format. I'm not sure which version she has cuz when I try to open it, a window comes up that just says "This version of RealOne Player has expired. Please connect to the internet and press 'Update' to automatically begin downloading the latest version of RealOne Player."

6. Cheeseball81

7. Cheeseball81

Also, make sure she meets the System Requirements. That will ensure better installation.

RealPlayer requirements - http://www.real.com/moreinfo/playerplus_sysreq.html?src=020327r1choice_c1

AOL 9.0 requirements -
    Pentium® class processor 166 MHz or higher
    Windows® operating system of Windows 98 or higher
    Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher except on Windows ME
    Between 364 - 390 MB of free hard drive space to install 9.0 Optimized SE depending on your Windows® operating system, and up to an additional 82 MB if you still need to install a new version of Internet Explorer
    128 MB (megabytes) of RAM (minimum)*
    VGA, SVGA or better display
    800x600 screen resoulution (minimum), 1024x768 for optimal viewing
    28.8 Kbps or faster modem or other means of Internet connection

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!