1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems upgrading from 1GB to 2GB Ram.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Athropos, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athropos

Athropos Thread Starter

Greetings.

I recently bought a new 1GB stick of Ram for my desktop. Both the new and the old stick are the same brand (Samsung DDR400 mhz). However things don't work perfectly well. As I type this, I have both modules installed and there are no problems. The system recognises the extra memory both upon bootup and in the control pannel. However as soon as I start using an application that would require a larger load for the memory, everything crashes with a big static sound and even the light on my optical mouse shuts off. Both modules were tested individually.

Did I miss something? Do I have to do something else to make the motherboard really work with the 2 sticks at once? The motherboard manual does not say anything about problems regarding 2GB of memory and apparently it's supported. I'll run a Memtest tonight, but in the meantime I'm really at a loss.

Thanks everyone.

Motherboard: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=455&MenuID=21&LanID=0
    Ram: : DDR400 PC 3200 SAMSUNG (K4H510438D-TCCC), 184 Pins

Edit: Fixed the link.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The link for the board does not work.
    You are correct to run memtest. In addition you might want to run prime95 as well.

If there are any errors, then you have a problem. Post links to your board AND the memory you installed.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Buying ram for speed and brand name means almost nothing and there is no real need to test your ram. Performance has told you it is not compatible, and in time it will get worse.
    The way to add ram is to checka site with a configurator: www.crucial.com,kingston.com or corsair,com and buy the model numbers they show you. Density, ecc factor and cas latency are the real determinations of what works with what.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice