1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems upgrading from Home to Prof

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mazestix, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazestix

mazestix Thread Starter

First of all, Hi everybody :) That's my first post here.

I use Windows XP Home Edition, Greek version (original copy bought with the laptop 2 years ago)

This is the whole story:

I was running NOD32 for viruses and ZoneAlarm for firewall+antispyware when for no reason I realized that Zone antispyware is not working. Nothing that I did fixed the problem. I got suspicious and downloaded spywaredoctor to run a scan. BIG MISTAKE!!! The System crashed 3-4 times and even when I unistalled the software the OS didn't become stable. On the contrary, it crashed and couldn't start windows (only on safe mode). I unistalled all the software (NOD32 and ZoneAlarm) and that is how I managed to get into windows. But the loading of windows was taking a great deal of time!!! I was sure that registy got damaged and I had to repair windows... But there is a big difference. My original copy is in Greece, and I live in a foreign country. I couldn't find a copy of a greek version here so I asked my friends in the office if they had any original copies of other versions and I found XP Home and XP prof in English.

I thought that I might upgrade from Home to Prof with no problems. So I went to "Run", typed "cmd" and then D:\i386\winnt32/unattend to reinstall. A message poped up "you run a different language, upgrade will not be available" but i ignored it (one more BIG MISTAKE). I finished installation and now I have 2 Windows versions on the same particion (I don't understand why the setup didn't see my Home on the same particion...).

So, now I have a Home greek version with all my data but a damaged registy
    and a Prof english version with none of my data...

What I want is ONE steady OS. I don't care if it's home or prof, greek or english. I want it to be steady, load quickly and have - if possible - my data on it... I use a various range o software for my work and I don't even want to think of reinstalling everything (some of the CDs are in Greece :mad: ) What I know, is that I have to find my greek copy, run a repair and delete the other OS from the partision (i don't know how though). But I will not be able to find my greek copy earlier than July... And it's hard to work with a laptop in that condition... For what is worth, I have made all my backups and I'm ready for any solutions... But I prefer the easiest and fastest :D

Sorry for the mpla mpla, i wish it was simplier....
    Any ideas?

2. tex0gen

tex0gen

I tried to upgrade from home to professional and ended up messing up my computer being stupid and all. Drivers were a ngihtmare to find and had to just re-do the whole lot again in home. so my advice would be, stick to home.

to install, shutdown the computer and run from the disc and do a hard format while reinstalling the os. DONE.

3. mazestix

mazestix Thread Starter

my Home will be as new if I run a repair... the problem is that I have to wait for 1,5 months to go back to my country and fix it.

Format is the absolute solution, but it's something I can avoid in that situation and gain time...

By the way, how do i delete completely an OS from my disc? Without installing a new on it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice