Problems upgrading to Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LeicesterGuy

Some time ago I acquired a laptop previously used by my mother. I've never used it, but now that I'm doing more work on line (courtesy of a certain pandemic) I thought the laptop might be useful rather than being tied to my desktop pc. The laptop wasn't working well, so I reinstalled Windows (Vista) from the original CD and then upgraded to Windows 7. I then tried to use the Windows 10 upgrade tool (having read that this still works if you have an older version of Windows) but it wouldn't recognise the Windows 7 activation code. I've since realised that the Windows 7 installation disk that I used was probably the one from my desktop, so Microsoft won't let me use it on another PC, which is fair enough. My mother (who lives in another part of the country) managed to send me the product key from her old Windows 7 disk, but that didn't work either, presumably because it doesn't match the version installed. The old laptop will probably only be used for a few months and I don't have the money at present to buy a new laptop nor do I really want to spend alot of money on buying Windows 10 or spend less money on a dodgy product key . Is there any way around this? Would it work if I could get my mother's Windows 7 installation disk, or would it be worth talking to Microsoft? (As I understand it, I wouldn't be able to upgrade direct from her old Vista OS). Any suggestions or am I on a hide into nowhere? Thanks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial number of that laptop?

If that laptop originally came with Windows Vista, I doubt its hardware is compatible with and will run Windows 10.

-------------------------------------------------

If you just need the laptop for web surfing, email, and or you have to remote into another computer to work, I would just install Ubuntu. Install Firfox or Chrome and you will likely find you go do anything you need to.

LeicesterGuy

What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial number of that laptop?

If that laptop originally came with Windows Vista, I doubt its hardware is compatible with and will run Windows 10.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1720, and it looks like you're right. I'd actually forgotten just how old the laptop was.

LeicesterGuy

If you just need the laptop for web surfing, email, and or you have to remote into another computer to work, I would just install Ubuntu. Install Firfox or Chrome and you will likely find you go do anything you need to.
Thanks. Ubuntu will be new territory for me, but it's probably worth a try. Laptop will mainly be needed for video conferencing.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If it is a Dell Inspiron 1720, it will have a 7-character service tag number on it.
Advise us what it is.

You are correct in it being a very old laptop.
It was introduced in 2007 and was designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit.

Last edited:

LeicesterGuy

If it is a Dell Inspiron 1720, it will have a 7-character service tag number on it.
Advise us what it is.

You are correct in it being a very old laptop.
It was introduced in 2007 and was designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit.

Hi. The Service Tag is HX86T3J. Maybe I just put it on display as an antique!!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop which was purchased in July 2008 in the U.K..

Because it's more than 10 years old, Dell has removed its system configuration information from its support site, so I'm not able to confirm which Windows version it came with and what hardware it came with.

That laptop is pretty much worth nothing, so I don't recommend you invest any money in it.
It might make a good door stop or paper weight.

LeicesterGuy

According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop which was purchased in July 2008 in the U.K..

Because it's more than 10 years old, Dell has removed its system configuration information from its support site, so I'm not able to confirm which Windows version it came with and what hardware it came with.

That laptop is pretty much worth nothing, so I don't recommend you invest any money in it.
It might make a good door stop or paper weight.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't planned to invest any money, but it's helpful to have that view confirmed. Cheers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online