1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems upgrading video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilheath, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilheath

lilheath Thread Starter

Hello, I recently had to purchase a new video card after my old one stopped working. I was in the middle of playing WoW, the screen goes black, and I could smell something burning in the pc :)

I'm running a PCChips M863 Mobo with an AMD Sempron 1.5 ghz cpu. The mobo does have on board graphics which is still working fine, but does not offer 3d. I did have a GeForce FX 5500 256mb video card, and I purchased a GeForce 6800 XT 256mb to replace it.

When I booted up the pc after swapping out the cards, it won't boot. It keeps checking the drives and the lights are flashing on it, but there's no signal to the monitor, from the on board or the new graphics card. I took the card out, re-booted and everything is fine again, except still no WoW :(

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help,

Lilheath

2. itc-cvisser

itc-cvisser

It could be that either your old GFX card was fine, and you had a faulty AGP/PCI-Epress slot. Or you had a faulty GFX card and a faulty AGP/PCI-Epress slot. Which means new motherboard I'm afraid. But before you rush to obtain a replacement mobo, does this 6800XT require extra power from your PSU directly to you GFX card?

3. lilheath

lilheath Thread Starter

As best as I can tell, the graphics card itself does not require any extra power source. Reading through the directions just shows to pull out the old card put this one, and close up the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice