1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems viewing .mov files - sound but no picture

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ajay1990, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajay1990

ajay1990 Thread Starter

Hi i am running windows XP professional on a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop and am trying to view a .mov file.

When i first tried playing it in Quicktime it had an error and said i needed additional codecs so i downloaded divx and VLC (I used to have them but my computer recently had to be reformatted back to factory settings).

Now i can hear the sound and see the subtitles (that were apparently embedded by using a program called submerge) but i can not see the video - all i get is a white background.

When i open it using VLC I can see the video perfectly! But there are no subtitles - which unfortunately i need.

I am pretty good on the computer so i should understand most of what you say although i have no idea about specs and stuff - graphics cards etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

First check, since you are using VLC is wether the subtitles are present and not activated or if they're embedded such that VLC can't handle them.

If you right click on the screen as the video is playing do you get a Subtitles Track> menu item or not?

3. ajay1990

ajay1990 Thread Starter

No i don't get the Subtitles Track menu item.

I thought it was meant to play in Quicktime though x_x

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You'll probably only be able to get it to work fully in Quicktime then. Are you using the latest version? It will often contain the needed codec for playback, especially if it happens to be an H.264 video file.

5. ajay1990

ajay1990 Thread Starter

Yes i am using the latest version. But all i get is like grey subtitles on a white background and the sound.

6. Parsons123

Parsons123

Try k-lite codec pack.

7. dannyn

dannyn

i had the exact i converted it to mp4 and all was well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!