1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems w/DSL modem via ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by waxoid, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waxoid

waxoid Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for reading.

I am trying to bring a Vista machine up on the internet, I've had it for a year unplugged (just gaming). I have Qwest DSL, with an ActionTec GT701-WG DSL gateway. The internet works fine via wireless over my MacBook. I can access the internet and also the gateway configuration page at 192.168.0.1 on my Mac. So the service is fine. (I also had internet working briefly on the Vista machine, but now do not.)

The Vista machine is a desktop and does not have wireless. In fact, it's in the basement so ultimately I'm hoping I can use a NetGear wall-plugged bridge (XE102) to deliver connectivity to it. I actually got that working yesterday(!) – for a little bit, then it went away and wouldn't work anymore from any plug. So I brought the DSL modem downstairs to the computer, plugged it into the phone there, and tried to connect via ethernet cable directly – still no go.

So, right now, I have the Actiontec modem plugged in next to the Vista machine. It is allowing wireless connections to the Internet just fine (I am using my MacBook via wireless to post this.) I have the Vista machine connected by ethernet cable directly to the modem, but Vista's network and sharing center shows "unidentified network" and no internet. I can't get to the web or the gateway configuration page from IE.

I tried messing with some Vista settings (including some at the advice of Qwest tech support... the guy hadn't given up yet but we got disconnected), which included turning off the firewall, trying a fixed IP, cycling stuff. All the same results, IE spins trying to connect and says "can't display this webpage".

Other data: plugging the ethernet into the Mac also doesn't get me connectivity, with the Mac detecting the cable but saying "self-assigned IP, may not be able to connect to the internet". Plugging into the Mac directly also worked last night during the brief period the NetGear bridge was delivering connectivity – I browsed the web successfully – and now does not work (if I turn off Airport and plug the ethernet cable into the Mac.)

The maddening thing here is having had this working last night, even with the NetGear bridge imbetween. On the Vista machine when I had connectivity, I browsed the web successfully to confirm, then hit windowsupdate.com to start applying patches furiously, it said it installed 44 patches or something and then I restarted. I can't recall the sequence next, internet may have still worked after reboot or I may have not tried, and instead tried to move the wall-plugged bridge to a better plug or something, but anyway never got a connection again, now even after (per above) plugging the modem in downstairs right next to the machine (which surprised me, I had assumed the NetGear bridge was the iffy part.)

I don't really know how to determine the Windows Vista version, the system panel still says "Windows Vista Home Premium". Not sure what else is relevant. Mac is 10.5.2.

Any ideas appreciated! :confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, let's do a stack reset.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If that still doesn't do it, try the following fixes.

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
    3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
    4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
    5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
    3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
    1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter regedit and press Enter.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
    5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
    6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    8. Close Registry Editor.
    NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.
    NOTE2: (GUID) is a mnemonic for the individual subkeys, the actual text "GUID" does not appaer.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

3. waxoid

waxoid Thread Starter

thanks John!

No luck with any of those, after cycling/restarting to test. Same symptoms. Interesting KB. There were two guids in that reg setting, one had the flag already and the other didn't (I added for good measure, and cleared both values...)

A friend mentioned some broadband modems only supporting one MAC address so I made sure to cycle the modem and restart with only the Vista machine plugged in and nothing else connecting wirelessly.

4. JohnWill

Well, your friend is right for plain modems, but your ActionTec GT701-WG DSL Gateway is a router.

I think perhaps upgrading the firmware on the router might be a good idea here, you should get it from Quest at this page: http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/gt701-wg/index.html?option=drivers

I'd also like to see this when you have the cable connected to the DSL router and the connection is working to the Mac.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. waxoid

waxoid Thread Starter

Upgrading the firmware does sound like a good idea; thank you for the link. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the update either on Mac or Vista – the instructions state not to do it via wireless, and neither computer can get a connection via the ethernet cable. I downloaded and tried the installers for both Vista and Mac, and both failed with "Cannot connect to the ActionTec Gateway!"

The gateway web interface says it is currently firmware version 3.60.1.0.4.1-GT701-WG. The 5.5 installer is labeled 05.5-3.60.3.0.7.6. (I tried installing the 5.5 upgrade; Vista also lists a 6.0 upgrade but that is not provided for Mac which makes me cautious about applying it? May be fine and just means a 6.0 updater for Mac hasn't been provided, not sure...)

The requested results of ipconfig /all are listed below. Note I have not undone any of the changes suggested in your first mail.

I so appreciate the assistance!

-----

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Geoff>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Velocity
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-FC-3C-A4-F8
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.87.117(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.171.3.65
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{2A3184BE-3CEC-46C7-830A-02BAE0E66
    9A1}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

C:\Users\Geoff>

6. avisitor

avisitor

So you have limited connectivity no matter what computer you have plugged into the Ethernet port?

7. waxoid

waxoid Thread Starter

Yes, neither Vista nor Mac machine plugged directly into ethernet was working. Wireless working via Mac.

My friend came over this afternoon and got it working on the Vista machine. Sounds like he wasn't 100% sure what the key issue was but got a connection long enough to see the IP address assigned by the router, then lost the connection but switched to using fixed IP settings with the IP previously seen. So not sure how robust this config will be but the internet is currently working on the machine. I'm in the process of downloading SP1.

So for the moment it's working so I'm okay – thanks for the suggestions and assistance.

8. JohnWill

There are no "installers" for an Ethernet connection to the router.

9. avisitor

avisitor

That refers to the firmware updater.

10. JohnWill

Right, I see that now. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice