1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems w/ Linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fiskars, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiskars

fiskars Thread Starter

Here's the deal. I have a home network w/ a Linksys 54g router. At school they have an identical router set up so that we can have wireless internet there. I am able to connect to the router @ home without any problems. I can sent and receive packets, surf the net, etc.

However, when I'm at school I am shown as connected to the school's router and I send several (less than 10) packets every few seconds, but I could be "connected" for several hours and not receive any packets. The most interesting part is that another student in my class is able to connect, send and receive packets, and surf the net.

Myself and another classmate are having the same problems and we have computers that are nearly identical. We have internal wireless cards, while the computer that can connect has an external wireless card. All of these computers are laptops. We used to all be able to connect, but now just the computer w/ the external wireless card can. Any suggestions? Its been like this close to a month and I don't think the school has it as a priority. Thanks.

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Are you "associated" with the right access point? Do you successfully get an IP address from the DHCP server? I have to presume you're using the right SSID for the schools access point, or the "connection" shouldn't show up... How are you generating the outgoing traffic? Or is that the DHCP request going out? If you never receive any traffic you shouldn't get an IP address. It will eventually fail and set its own address to 169.254.x.y...

3. fiskars

fiskars Thread Starter

I'm sure that I'm associating w/ the right access point. It is not a secure wireless network so there isn't any WEP or WAP key needed to connect. I am not directly generating the outgoing traffic, but it generates on its own after I am "connected". I'm not sure if this is the DHCP request or not because I'm not sure what that is. You are right in that I never get an IP address. When I try to "repair" the wireless network connection through the support tab, it says that it was unable to renew the IP address. Then it gives the following values:
    Physical Address: 00-90-4B-54-03-F9
    IP Address: 169.254.57.237
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway:
    DNS Server:
    WINS Server:

Prior to "repairing" the values are:
    Physical Address: 00-90-4B-54-03-F9
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway:
    DNS Server:
    WINS Server:

Thanks for your help.

4. coulterp

coulterp

The IP Address: 169.254.57.237, Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 indicates that your PC is not able to reach the DHCP server, presumable the school Linksys 54g router (and Windows allocates this IP address).
    As you kit works OK at home it would appear no hardware problem with your wireless access card. And as others at school work OK it would appear the school router is functioning.
    Have you checked things like you are using the same channel on your laptop PC as the school wireless router is using? Perhaps the school changed the channel they operate on?

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Actually the wireless cards should autodetect which channel the access point is using, so even if the schools WAP is using a different channel than his WAP at home, the laptop's card configuration shouldn't need to be modified.

If your card is never detecting any Wireless traffic, then something is keeping the WAP from seeing the laptop's card as being connected. That something could be a configuration conflict between the card and the WAP, could be some sort of security setting on the WAP like denying you card's MAC address. Could be a firewall rule keeping the DHCP server's response from reaching you. But it would have to be targeted on MAC addresses if others are able to get addresses. But it definitely sounds like you'll need the assistance of the admins to be able to resolve the issue...

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Another possibility is that your laptop cards are incompatable with the schools WAP. Were the WAPs changed recently? You did claim that your laptops used to be able to connect right?

This is probably more likely than the other stuff I wrote above (unless someone had a reason to want to lock you out of the Wireless network...)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice