1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems w/ Windows 7 Dual Booting with XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NoviceTechie, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie Thread Starter

Hi, I think I made a grievous error last night. I was installing Windows 7 Pro (x64) onto my computer. The installation went well, but when I got into the OS itself, I noticed it wasn't installing anything onto the Win7 Partition. Instead it was installing programs into the WinXP partition. I initially thought it was because I didn't set the Win7 partition as the active partition, so I went into Disk Management and made it the Active Partition. BIG mistake because that erased the dual boot function. I received the BOOTMGR is MISSING msg and I had to repair via my Win7 Dvd.. Problem is my Win 7 repair just recovered the Win7 OS - and now I can't dual boot into XP. Is there a way to restore the dual boot functionality?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try downloading and installing EasyBCD.

3. NoviceTechie

I'm experimenting with BCD right now - (just double checking, its Vista compatible, is it 7 compat too?) I'm quite sure what to do in it. I added an entry for XP (which is now being treated as drive D), but I receive an error saying its missing a file or may be corrupt. But I know its not corrupt because I can access the drive through 7 and even open up a few of its programs.

4. saikee

saikee

The MS bootloaders NTLDR (for booting Win2k and Xp) and bootmgr (for booting Vista and Win7) work the following way.

bootmgr can't boot Xp or Win2k but it can hand over the control to NTLDR.

Therefore if a PC has Xp first and install Vista and/or Win7 later then the bootmgr will take over the "C" drive and include the NTLDR as one of its booting option. One can put Vista and/or Win7 on logical partitions as they have no bootmgr residing in their partitions.

It natural and technically necessary for a Vista/Win7 boot loader to reside in the "C" drive which should have been marked bootable or active.

Don't use much the terminal commands in MS systems but it seems diskpart may have a utility to select a partition and make it active. In Linux there are dozen utilities to the same thing. It can be done with the boot loader Grub on-the-fly.

5. NoviceTechie

To be honest I've been dealing with this problem since last night and I haven't gotten much sleep >.> I'm resolved to just wipe the HD clean. Install a smaller version of XP.. then 7.. and i will never make the mistake of reassigning Active Partitions.

6. saikee

saikee

You can select any partition as active in the disk management program of Xp/Win2k and Vista/Win7 so that it will boot to another partition.

You can also make a Grub floppy or CD boot it up and select any of the 4 primaries as active.

The bootable flag of a partition is just a byte, out of the 16-byte partition table for each partition, to be set on or off. If you set one partition active the existing one will be automatically switched off. The arrangement is as old as Dos.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice