1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems when using screenshot for desktop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Aunukia, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aunukia

Aunukia Thread Starter

I took a screenshot of a paused dvd on my computer and set it as my background. It acts all funny though. It's saved as a bitmap image but doesn't behave as one. I can't scroll it in paint, for one thing. And when I set it as my background hideous shadows pop up behind all my icons and icon text. This doesn't happen with any other bitmap or jpeg or any other image I have EVER used. This is the first time I've done this, why is this happening? I also just tried to take another screenshot of a different frame and it automatically replaced both the previous image in the saved bitmap file and on my desktop. Ok, now I realize that it's only using whatever frame I've got paused while the dvd's playing. When I stop the dvd completely the saved file goes black. PLEASE NEED HELP!

2. lister

lister

You're actually capturing the overlay colour used by the media player for hardware acceleration.

Most DVD playing software have inbuilt capture facilities that can bypass this without disabling hardware acceleration - what software are you using for playback?

3. Aunukia

Aunukia Thread Starter

Dell Media Experience? I think, actually I have that and something called "Power DVD"? on my computer that both came with it. (Dell, of course) They both play exactly the same though. So what do I do to take an actual snapshot that I can keep?

4. lister

lister

Use the capture button in PowerDVD.
    You can specify a directory and other settings to save to in the settings.

ps: it won't capture the whole of your screen, just the movie frame - which is what I imagine you want.

5. Aunukia

Aunukia Thread Starter

There is no "capture" button. :mad: Like I said, Dell's Media Experience is on here too, and I think it just kind of "hijacks" the power DVD program and gives me way less options. I've used Power DVD on other non-Dell computers and it didn't look like this. When I use the Power DVD app. on this crazy-*** Dell though it changes everything. It uses obviously Dell-specific graphics and buttons, etc. after that. Now what?

6. lister

lister

Well, disabling hardware acceleration would be a way to go - though for DVD, rather than media files, i've heard that this may not work.

I gave up on PowerDVD (the prog just gets worse as the versions get higher) ages ago.

For a free alternative to play (& capture) DVD I use VLC media player. CTRL+ALT+S takes a snapshot (capture) and saves it to the specified directory (Preferences -> Video).

7. Aunukia

Aunukia Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice