1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems when windows 7 updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sezfoster, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sezfoster

sezfoster Thread Starter

Hi, can anyone help me please, the last few times windows 7 has auto updated I have had to restore my computer to a previous restore point, because it makes my keyboard and touchpad freeze on my laptop, I can use a usb mouse but thats all . Thanks.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You need to check with HP and see if they have some hardware updates that you need for this machine.

3. antech

antech Banned

You can try hiding those updates (hiding updates=never installing them unless you unhide them)
    Right Click on the updates that cause the problems and select hide

4. sezfoster

sezfoster Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice guys I will try both of these suggestions.

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Hiding them will NOT solve your problem and should NOT be done. These hidden updates just may be needed to install later ones, so, ALWAYS find out the problem and get the updates installed.

Are there any other updates that you have NOT installed?

Suggesting that they be hidden is very bad advice.

6. sezfoster

sezfoster Thread Starter

I have tried to install the last 3 or 4 updates but each time I had to restore the system to a time before the last update. It has been over the last week or so, so I am not sure if the same update is trying to install each time.

7. antech

antech Banned

The updates that cause the problem should be in the optional updates section.
    Figure out them.
    In this case ,as the updates are causing to laptop to freeze, so its a safe idea to hide them because any other user on the laptop would install the updates that casuse the problem and he would have to start all over again.
    Try contacting Microsoft for help

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    antech,
    Without knowing which updates are the problem, how do you KNOW that they are in the "Optional" area of updates?
    You are continuing to give out bad advice about hiding these updates.
    The only good that you have stated, is to contact Microsoft.

9. antech

antech Banned

Ok .
    Sorry .
    Admins requested to delete all of my posts in this thread

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There's no reason to delete your posts, antech. You made 'em, they are not illegal or rude or anything like that.

IMO better would be to advise installing the updates one at a time to see which is causing the problem. And, avoiding any optional driver updates. It does make sense (to me) to hide those, and take control of driver updates instead of trusting Windows for them.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice