1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with 8GB ram on Gigabyte 680i DQ6

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iframe, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iframe

iframe Thread Starter

Hi there
    I have this motherboard GA-N680SLI-DQ6 (rev 2.0)http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2553

and this ram TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX PC2-6400 4GB Kit X 2 so 8gb in all.

The strange thing is that it gives me ram error if I have them all in at the same time.
    No at first I was sure it was just a case of some of them having defect of some sort.
    So of I go burning my memtest86 cd and reboot here we go sure enough BAD ram found so I take 2 out and run the test again.
    No errors :) so I put one more in and still no errors.
    No here's the thing I though well I have a case of one bad block of ram . but ofcorse its not going to be this easy.
    I take all the 3 other blocks out and insert this one block I have left in my hand since i last seen any errors in memtest86.
    But to my disapointment no its got no errors and I'm sure guys I spent the whole day testing them all 4 at work the next day thsy have no errors at all. 2gb modules take time man :S like 4 hours per module. so I'm getting lost.
    just a note it dosnt matter were I place them *** in what socket on the motherbord. so its not the bord that's got a defect socket. its just 6gb no problems at all. but as soon as I add 2 more gb to get it up to 8 gb it dosnt eaven boot up into vista before I get bsod of ram error :S so I thought mabe Gigabyte had some fix for this but I cant say I find any and I mean any bios updates for this bur since the very first release.

I run vista 64bit homeprem and have no problems with 8gb of some cheaper ram I hade b4 this but they were only 667 and these are 800 so donno if this has anything to do with it.
    the motherbord supports it , I mean its written on the box !
    Hope you can help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice