Problems with a new computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

genes1s

Hello again,

I am in need of some advice. I am helping a friend build a computer. We bought all custom parts from newegg. Installed the mb, processor, RAM, and put on all the Front Panel wires on the correct places on the mb. (we had everything installed but i unplugged a view things to try and debug). When we did have everything installed we tried to boot the computer... the power went through nicely, all the fans on the chipset, cpu, and chasis worked fine, the drives spun up nicely, and i could hear the hard drives spin up. But about every 4 seconds a beeping sound comes out of the motherboard. I have built several computers, and this sound has been my worst nightmare. As of now i haven't heard that beep before, and I freaked out. After starting up, i had it on for about a minute, and nothing smells, there's no weird sounds, just that beeping warning that something's not right. I plugged the monitor in to see if the beeping was just a problem with the speaker connector on the mb, but as i suspected it doesn't boot; the monitor doesn't even turn on. So, after i tried to start it with everything in, i slowly started to disconnect parts on the mb, i unplugged all the roms the harddrives and only left the front panel, ram, and processor in. Tried booting and i still got that beep warning... as of now I don't have precise information on the parts, i'm waiting for the invoice from my friend to be e-mailed. All i know is that it's a ASUS board socket 939, AMD Athlon 64 3700+ socket 939, 1024 gigs of OCZ Ram (pc3200), two Western Digis at 80 GB (SATA 150) which i'm going to try and get in a RAID 0 configuration, and two CD-ROMS which i had in the primary and secondary IDE connectors on the MB. I know that isn't a lot of details, but I thought i'd throw it out there and see if anyone had this happen before. I will give more details in a few, but if anyone has any oppinions I'd be very thankful. I guess the question is... what do you think is causing the beeping on the mb? Is it a connection problem? A power problem? or could it be just a motherboard D.O.A.? Could the processor cause the beeping? I am really at a loss here, i've never had this happen before.

Thank you.

genes1s

Yea, i was looking at the beep codes too, this is the closest one i could find -

1 short - DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed

It's a beep not that long, not really short, only one, then repeats maybe four seconds later.

If that's the right one... I am not that familiar with DRAM, so how would i go about fixing the DRAM failure.

Thanks for the link. I am pretty sure that's the right beep.

Where are you reading.

"1 short beep = DRAM refresh failure"

One short beep [about 1 second long] is a normal POST boot-up.

NOTE: Beep would be through speaker on case/mobo NOT any "external speakers" you might have.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Reseat the Memory or try the memory sticks one at a time.

Or it could be a loose viedo card connection; reseat the video card.

genes1s

this is a link to what i meant with the DRAM failure -

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

The first for AMI is what i seem to be having every 4 or 5 seconds.

If it's for AST it is a CPU failure. I don't know the details at the moment, the computer is at another location, but i'll try to figure out what BIOS the MB is running.

I'll try reseating the memory. Is that going to help with the DRAM failure? not exactly sure what a DRAM failure is. If someone is familiar i'd like to know.

There are no speakers hooked up to it. The computer fails to boot, it turns on, but the monitor gets no signal to turn on. The beep is coming from the speaker cable that plugs into the Front Panel connector. That is the only operable speaker in the case.

It beeped before the video card was put in. I turned it on with only the CPU, and RAM installed and it did the same beep pattern every 4 to 5 seconds. Like i said, i'll try reinstalling the RAM. Should I try to reseat the CPU? and am I looking at the right place for BIOS beeps?

ETS

I would do exactly what triple6 said.

DRAM is the same as memory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online