Problems with accessing my pictures in File Explorer

prpliris

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200207040748.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 476 GB (66 GB Free); E: 2794 GB (1703 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8653, ver A (SMVB), s/n PHZGP0CCYD2BEA
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2MO0032TNJ
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I have many photos on my laptop and I tried to move them with a USB cable supposedly designed for that to my new HP PC. Now, I can't access my photos(many are genealogy related). I have tried going to the Microsoft Help but they only support this type of problem with Outlook.

Basically in that help article, they are saying that the registry is corrupt and us a fix-it program that they have. Of course, that won't work on my issue as my files are in File Explorer.

Is there anything I can do or you can help me with to reclaim these pictures?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Exactly what brand and model number of USB adapter cable did you use? If purchased online, a link to the product page should be good enough. The cables need to have proper USB interface electronics between the plugs for proper operation.

Did you need to install any special apps or drivers on either computer to use the adapter cable?

Is the posted System Info for the old or new computer? What version of Windows is running on the other computer?

Have the files disappeared on both computers? If you remember the name of any one of the missing files, have you tried a search for that file on all the drives on both computers, including hidden and system locations?

plodr

Liz
It's a little late but never move, always copy. That way, if something goes wrong, you still have the files in the original location.

Also, you might have a permission problem. If the files belong to user A on the first computer and are put under My Pictures under user B on the 2nd computer, user B won't be able to open them.

Best way: get a USB stick or portable hard drive.
1. Copy the photos from the old computer to the USB stick.
2. Put the USB stick in the new computer and copy the photos there.
When you are sure they are all visible, you can remove them from the old computer. (I tend to right click and erase files rather than simply deleting them.)
Don't remove them from the USB stick because everyone should have at least 1 backup of all files stored off the computer.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Also, are these phots used within a Genealogy program, if so what one?

prpliris

Exactly what brand and model number of USB adapter cable did you use? If purchased online, a link to the product page should be good enough. The cables need to have proper USB interface electronics between the plugs for proper operation.

Did you need to install any special apps or drivers on either computer to use the adapter cable?

Is the posted System Info for the old or new computer? What version of Windows is running on the other computer?

Have the files disappeared on both computers? If you remember the name of any one of the missing files, have you tried a search for that file on all the drives on both computers, including hidden and system locations?
I purchased the cable from Amazon and it did not require a loading app or drivers on either computer to use the adapter cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z5C9951/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The posted system info is the new desktop. Windows 10 is running on both the laptop and desktop.

I have searched for the files but it says they were not found. The files have disappeared from the laptop and they are not viewable in File Explorer. They have a light greyScreenshot 2020-09-22 102652.png "X" by them.

prpliris

Also, are these phots used within a Genealogy program, if so what one?
No, they aren't in a genealogy program yet. I have been gathering them and wanted to begin the process of attaching them.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your screen capture shows << Dropbox (Personal) > in the file path. That makes me think you were moving files to or from cloud storage rather than between two local computers. I am not familiar with Dropbox, but maybe someone else here that is familiar with the service can explain what may have happened to your files.

If the missing files were actually saved on the laptop's internal hard drive, a program for recovering deleted files may be able to restore them.

prpliris

Your screen capture shows << Dropbox (Personal) > in the file path. That makes me think you were moving files to or from cloud storage rather than between two local computers. I am not familiar with Dropbox, but maybe someone else here that is familiar with the service can explain what may have happened to your files.

If the missing files were actually saved on the laptop's internal hard drive, a program for recovering deleted files may be able to restore them.
The screenshot I sent was from Dropbox but all of my photos in File Explorer have the "x" on them.

plodr

Liz
it did not require a loading app or drivers on either computer
and yet when I was looking at asked questions, one of the answers was this
You will need the monitor on both PCs briefly in order to ensure the program launches on each one. Once the EasySuite program is running, you can perform all the tasks from a single PC.
So did you see the EasySuite Program?

another answer
Each computer must install the Gearmo setup files.
Did you see any program launch?

prpliris

I bought the EasySuite program and installed it. Then I moved my apps from the laptop to the new desktop without any problems. Then I couldn't get the files to move so I purchased the cable from Amazon. The advertising said it did not need to install an app and as far as I know it didn't.

plodr

Liz
I moved my apps
Ah, that is the problem. You can't move apps from one computer to another. You have to clean install any app you want to use on a different computer.
If you paid for the app, you have to see if you are allowed to use it on another computer.
Example: I have a lifetime license for Malwarebytes Pro. I wanted to move it from a computer no longer on the internet to a new computer. I wrote and asked. I had to disable it, then remove it from the old computer, then I had to download and install a fresh copy on the new computer.

prpliris

Just to bring you up to date, I contacted Geek Squad tonight and they said the problem was caused by Dropbox. It had not synced so the files were not accessible. I appreciate your help with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online