1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Address Book malfunctioning in Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zantelover, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zantelover

zantelover Thread Starter

Before I take some more time on top of the numerous hours I have spent on this problem , has anyone heard of any problems with the Address Book facility of Thunderbird or , failing that , is there anyone who thinks that they could help with this problem ?

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Could you give some details of what problems you're having?

3. zantelover

Thanks for that offer of help ,Throoper. Sorry for the delay ; have been away with the family.

Here are my main problems :

1. All my addressees are in one Address Book in Thunderbird. I have an additional TWO lists , one containing 24 of the people appearing on my main address book and the other list containing 10 people.
    Address book when correct contains 175 names and email addresses. After closing down Thunderbird and then restarting , there are 187 records. The additional 'bogus' records are ADDITIONAL records containing a different 'name' derived from all the characters PRECEDING the '@' of that persons email address. e.g a record may be for Tom Mix whose email address is [email protected]. The spurious , additional record created by Thunderbird would be ... name (tom.mix) ... email address([email protected]).

2. Name in record lists do not correspond in all cases to the 'Display' title entered into the individuals record.

3. Details of certain fields in the individal records have become exchanged with another individuals details.e.g someone elses email address has been acquired from another individuals record.

4. Sometimes , when creating an additional ‘list’ , all the valid names in the address book do not appear on the drop-down menu when inputting to the additional list but will then re-appear when the action is repeated. For example , in the valid main address book I might have TWO ‘Kens’ , Ken Smith and Ken Jones. When I come to create the new list with my cursor on the line to be completed and I type in Ken , I might only get Ken Smith on the drop-down list.

I have lost all faith in the Thunderbird address book utility !
    Maybe the fact that my issue of Thunderbird is 31.6.0 may be something to do with it ? Why does Thunderbird not notify its users when a new version is issued ?

Regards

Terry

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Tools - Options - Advanced - Update tab gives you several choices for how to get updates. 31.6.0 is the current version.

5. zantelover

6. throoper

First off, 31.6 is the last official release. The others are Beta's and in developement. That's what the b in the version denotes (or if you are cynical like me, it stands for buggy :D)

I assume these are fairly recent problems?

Problem by problem.

1 and 4: If I understand correctly, I think what's happening is it's treating some names entered into lists as new names. This will also correspond to problem 4, list creation and the way you do it.
    The names not always showing up in the suggestion drop down when you start typing is an old bug that seems to pop up from time to time in different versions.
    Simplest way to do lists and also avoid the problem (for names in the Address Book) is to create the list with no contacts so it shows in the left tree.
    Open the AB and while holding the Ctrl key, select the contacts you want to add to the list and when they are all highlighted drag them to the list icon in the left pane.
    You only need to manually type a contact if it's not already in the AB.
    Once the list is created and populated, restart Thunderbird before using it.

How this may relate to problem 1 is, if you manually type a name already in the AB into a list, TB can treat it as a different contact since it doesn't contain a "Display Name", basically giving you a duplicate with the "extra" pre @ before the contact address being recorded as the display name for the typed contact.

2: This may be related to 1 and 4, and changing the way you do the lists may also take care of that. Basically you may be getting identical listings (dupes), but slightly different and they are getting mixed. Be aware I'm just guessing on this one.:eek:

3: I have absolutely no idea and record details should never cross over to another contact. I haven't as yet checked around to see if there's a bug relating to it, but I will and get back to you on this.

In the mean time, try the different method of list creation and see if that at least solves a couple of the problems.

If it doesn't, I would suggest rolling back to an earlier version where you didn't have the problems (I'd say 31.0 at least).

7. zantelover

Throoper

Many thanks for that response. There are some good tips here and ones which I will certainly enact from now on.

It would be interesting to know if anyone anywhere has experienced the 'crossover' bug !

I have exported my Main Address Book and edited it using a Text Editor then imported it having first cleared the original contact list. I then deleted my two Mail Lists , created empty new ones and repopulated them as you suggested. Things are hunky dory at the moment.

Many , many thanks for your help. What would we do without forums such as this , eh ?

8. throoper

Glad to hear things seem OK now.
    I can't find any bugs to explain the crossover of data between contacts. That makes me think it may be a localized corruption in the mab file.
    If that's the case, the description of what you've done (Export, edit, Import) may solve the issue by having cleared the data from the mab.

What I would do as a precaution is Export the AB to a ldif file while it's correct.
    If you start having problems with crossover again, you can Import it and, in the Profile folder, swap out the abook.mab (the PAB file) with the impab.mab (the imported ldif file). Basically, open the profile, delete (or rename) abook.mab and then rename the impab.mab to abook,mab, making it the Personal Address Book, effectively giving you a fresh mab file with the correct data and no corruption.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice