1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with an Atapi to USB adapter driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tobydobo, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tobydobo

tobydobo Thread Starter

I have a client with a laptop running Win 98 First Edition and is trying to install an external USB CDRW by TDK.

For some reason this drive connects as an IDE device via USB and requires the Atapi to USB adapter in order for it to work. If you go into Device Manager I have a device conflict on the Atapi to USB adapter under Hard Disk controllers. Everytime it tries to load the driver I get a blue screen Fatal exception error.

I have tried updating the driver through Device Manager and I get the same error every time. I loaded all the Windows critical updates and get the same thing. Im thinking that either this driver is incomptible with win 98 or the driver I am trying to load is outdated.

Does anyone know where I can can get new driver for the Atapi to USB adapter for 98?

2. tobydobo

tobydobo Thread Starter

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That driver would come with the drive. You may be able to download a newer driver from the manufacturers(of the drive) website.

Also with what device is the conflict?

Whats the model of the TDK drive? And whats the motherboard or USB controller that you're using? The USB will be in Device Manager and be either Intel, VIA, SIS, ALi, etc.

4. tobydobo

tobydobo Thread Starter

The conflict is not with the USB controller, its with with the Atapi to USB adapter driver found under the 'Hard Disk Controller' section of the DM. The drive needs that adapter to work because according to TDK it is an IDE device that connects via the USB. I have already checked the manufacturers site for an updated driver and they didnt have one. I was thinking that there may be a generic Microsoft version since it is just a standard Atapi to USB adapter.

Here is the info you requested:

USB Controller:
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Drive:
    TDK VeloCD Model 5201UE - Hi-speed USB 2.0/1.1 external CD-Rewritable drive
    52x 24x 48x

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. tobydobo

tobydobo Thread Starter

hey appreciate the additional info on the Intel drivers. I will definitely try that and report back. In regards to the TDK drivers I already had those.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice