1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with AOL 9.0

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DeniseNelson, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DeniseNelson

DeniseNelson Thread Starter

Hi,
    I wasn't sure where to ask this question so I'll try here. This is actually a problem with my father's computer. We installed Norton Antivirus 2004 on his computer a couple weeks ago. He says he's having problems getting on to AOL (he upgraded to AOL 9.0 fairly recently.) If he disables Norton it works. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way. He is running Windows 98.

Denise

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

Not sure if you played around with your norton settings, but keep them in the default position for now to see if aol works. You may have the protection too high. If that's not the case try reinstalling norton and aol again.

3. yul

yul

what exactly happens on AOL 9.0?

4. DeniseNelson

Thanks Bruce. I'll be sure to check that out.

Denise

5. DeniseNelson

Yul,
    I guess he never gets online with AOL with Norton enabled.

Denise

6. dabwid

dabwid

Norton is not the probelm. AOL is the probelm. There are better ISP's out there the AOL. As you can tell I do not like AOL. I could never stay connected, Tech Support was no help. I went to a $9.95 a month ISP and had for better service then I ever got with AOL.

7. Tequila454

Tequila454

Check to see how much RAM that machine has on it. Running Win98 I would guess you are around 128MB, 256MB if your lucky. Then see how many TSRs are running in the background (CTRL+ALT +DEL once and count how many items are in that list) and if it's more then 7 or so then I would say taking out TSRs would be a good place to start...

AOL is a memory HOG and Norton is no slouch...

8. DeniseNelson

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to my dad's this weekend and hopefully we can get his machine to work.

Denise

9. wendyfreed

wendyfreed

Does anybody have a 1-800 tech # for aol? I can't seem to find one any where.

10. jerry1967

jerry1967

the number is 1 888 346 3704

11. CowboyRob

CowboyRob

I am working on a computer for a friend and every time that we try to browse the internet while logged onto AOL 9.0 it comes up with an error stating the the memory is too low or the hard drive is messed up. Is there an on going issue with AOL or could it be a corrupted file with AOL?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice