Problems with Asus P5B Software?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scubbo123

Hello all,

Based on an article in PC Gamer (November 2007), I'm planning on building my own PC for the first time. The recommended motherboard for this build was the Asus P5B, which from many reviews online seems to be a very good choice. However, I found this site: http://tinyurl.com/6qw2l9 which claims that there are significant problems associated with the Soundmax audio drivers and the Jmicron SATA controller for this board. Have any of you experienced these problems, and if so, are there any solutions or fixes available? If not, can you recommend any similar boards?

Many thanks,
Scubbo123

People have bad experiences with every product on the market. I think you can find a 'this is crap' review for every piece of hardware currently on the market. Don't let stuff like this scare you off of good brands.

It's been my experience that MOST of the issues that people have with motherboards are a result of either:

a) Bad/out-of-date drivers
b) Improper hookup of cables/connections
c) General operator stupidity (AKA - people who don't read the manual)

Here's the Newegg page for that board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131030

After over 250 reviews, it got a 4/5 star rating. Pretty good I would say.

In my experience, it's always a good idea to browse around to a few different reputable sites to find out what the real deal is. If they all seem to concur that a piece of hardware is problematic, then I'd avoid it. As for the Asus board, it looks like a pretty decent choice for a budget build. :)

Scubbo123

Thanks very much - this pretty much confirms what I'd been thinking, i.e.,that the problems encountered were driver-based and so sortable by updating them. However, it's encouraging to have this confirmed by someone else! Everywhere else seems to say that the board is a good choice with no problems, which is good enough for me!

I think the reason that this particular board was chosen was that it offered a good budget performance but also good capacity for improvement in overclocking. I was a little concerned that it didn't seem to offer SLI/Crossfire, but perhaps this is less important than the hype last year led me to believe?

Regardless, thanks very much for your opinion, I'm much encouraged.

crjdriver

Asus has a fourm for their boards. Checkout the asus forum for any problems with the board.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online