1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with audio playback on videos.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by willmon21, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

When I am playing a video on youtube the audio on it plays fine. But then when I have the same video on my computer it plays all crackly and staticy. I tried to get a new driver for it then the videos started to playback fast. So then I removed the audio driver and kept the one that installs by default. I removed the K-lite Mega Codec pack and the sound played back fine but there was no video. So then I used codecfixer and it still didn't do anything. I don't know what else to do other than post something here and hope that someone knows how to fix the issue. The computer has Windows XP Professional SP3 1.3GHz Pentium 4 256MBs RAM and a GeForce 6200 graphics card. I have the latest Graphics card driver installed directly from nvidia and I have the latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed. If you need further information just let me know and I will try to find what you need.

2. TekTime

TekTime

What program are you using to play the videos?

I'm a HUGE fan of VLC, it stopped all of my video/audio playback issues: www.videolan.org/vlc/

3. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

That is exactly what someone else told me. Use VLC it will solve all your problems. When the thing is a video player can only get you so far. It is the codecs that will get you further. I am using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack it is the most complete codec pack I have ever used. It will basically play every single format that you will run into. Now the further info I was talking about in the title. Within the K-Lite Mega Codec pack it gives you all codecs necessary to play anything on Windows Media PLayer that comes with Windows but I updated mine to the latest Windows Media Player 11. On rare occasion a video or audio file won't play on Windows Media Player with all the codecs so I use Media Player Classic which comes with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. Now the type of video file is avi with the xvid codec. Video playback is fine just there is some crackling static for the audio you can still hear the audio it just has the crackling static. The sound card is a Creative Audio PCI (ES1371, ES1373) WDM according to the default driver Windows XP has. I know it isn't the speakers that is making the noise as I have plugged them into my laptop and played videos and they all play fine on the speakers. And I know it isn't the sound card because if it was then the issue would not be the same when I plug in a newer model. Now as far as my trying to get the audio to play fine with video I have tried to convert the video to WMV with the WMV audio and before I completely converted it I tried to play it and the video was jumbled because it hadn't converted completely yet but the sound played back perfectly. I am trying to completely convert it on my laptop which is much faster than this old hunk of junk. I hope this helps in determining what the problem is.

4. TekTime

TekTime

It is somewhat difficult pinpointing audio/video playback problems when using third party codecs and also, Windows Media Player. VLC is suggested because there is no need to download or install any codecs, VLC comes with all you need. I have not yet come across ANY file format that VLC has not played, unless the file in itself was corrupted.

Maybe someone could shed a little more light on your issue; as you can see I'm partial to VLC and hate worrying about codecs etc.. ;)

5. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

Well I used VLC and it does the same thing. What I don't get is that the same codec pack has always worked for me and many other people I happen to install it on their computers for them. Just my mom's computer seems to be too stubborn these days. No matter how many things I do to the computer it just decides to get worse on me. The computer originally had 128MBs for ram I upgraded it to 256MBs and it worked for awhile then it seemed as if it slowed down back to where it was originally. I am really thinking about at some point in time when I get a chance I will fix my old tower and replace hers with mine. Anyways back to the audio playback issue I think I am probably going to have to solve this myself, I usually do anyways. I was just hoping someone on here would know something and help out. But I guess everyone has there strong points and weak points. And codecs aren't always my strong point.

6. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

Correction, I have converted the video half way on my laptop and transfered it to the computer in question and the video was there with the crackling static audio once again.

7. itsjusme

itsjusme

Ok, if i missed something i`ll blame it on poor eyesite and braindeath from too many strokes. But it seems like you have up graded everything except the sound card drivers. Have you tried installing the latest drivers specific to that sound card, or are you just using the native windows drivers?

8. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

I have tried updating the drivers. And when I do it seems that the video plays faster and the static crackling noise is still there. I may not have the proper drivers because I remember having some drivers at one point that makes the noise not be there anymore. I also know that when the codecs aren't there when I play the video the sound is fine just there is no video.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice