1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Belkin Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MichaelAdams1993, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MichaelAdams1993

MichaelAdams1993 Thread Starter

We use a Belkin Router with a Verizon Internet connection. This router publishes a wireless network with a router IP of 192.168.2.1, and all devices connected are tagged with IP addresses 192.168.2.x. Everything was working fine until recently when the main computer and router were moved. Something went wrong and now I cannot get my laptop to connect unless I disable the security features. It has WPA, WEP, and WPA2 options. When ever I use any of them the laptop allows me to configure the connection but for some reason won't save the options I use. The router says to use WPA with a TKIP or AES encyption. The laptop will not save the TKIP option and continues to return to AES. I believe this is the problem. Even when I get the settings to be accepted occasionally the computer tells me there was a "Problem applying the Profile" set up for this connection. I am at a complete loss of what to do other then leaving the security open. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are using WPA-PSK, TKIP, on the router but when you try to connect after giving the passphrase on the laptop it will not connect and the profile is not saved?

I don't understand your comments about "laptop will not save the TKIP option and continues to return to AES." Are you sure you set the router to use TKIP?

3. MichaelAdams1993

Yes, I am using the WPA-PSK, TKIP option. And what I mean is when I select to connect to the network I tell it the security settings are WPA TKIP and it saves that as the profile. but then when I look at the profile settings it says it is using WPA, AES. I don't know how to get the settings to stick. I THINK this is the problem. BTW I'm using a program called Intel PROSet Wireless. I don't know if you've ever used it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I used Intel Proset for four years--until my Intel adapter ceased working (motherboard problem apparently). Never ran into your problem.

Suggest you download the latest Intel Proset from the PC manufacturer's web site; uninstall the current one, and install the newly downloaded one. I'm guessing (and hoping) this is just some glitch that we'll never understand but that will go away with a new install.

5. MichaelAdams1993

That sounds like a good start. Where could I download the newer version from?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    from the PC manufacturer's web site

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice