1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with cable high speed internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by XcheifX, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

First off i have charter 3mb service, and for the past year i've been happy with their services and their connection to my modem. Recently though, the internet has been acting funny. At first my internet would completley shut off, being only stuck on send and never got to online untill around 9pm. The charter guys came over to my house and checked my internet. they said they found a coax cable from the outside that was damages, so he replaced it. the internet worked fine after that for a good 3days, then it started acting up again.

So, since the guys working at charter said that my connection to their main server was excellent, i thought maybe it was my modem. i went and i bought a new motorola surgboard sb5120. The internet starting working again, but this time the modems lights would reset every 10=15min of use. If it was idle it didn't do this. I called charter again and they said that mayber it was my power supply, they suggested connecting it to an outlet by itself, or an outlet that does not share power with the computer. so i did, and it started working better. now the modem lights would only reset every hour, but still it did this. so now im stuck at this point.

Any suggestions? I will be extremely gratful for any help in solving this because this gets really anoying when playing games. once again thx for the help:D

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

IS there a problem with your electrical supply? If you plug a lamp into the same outlet with the modem does it dim at the same time the modem loses connection? Along the same line of thought, does the modem lose connection at the same time the refrigerator or the A/C (or something else) starts runnning?

4. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

no, i don't think its an electrical problem because i run my air conditioning all day long, the internet does not turn off when i use a lamp, and don't forget the fact that its running through the same outlet as the computer is(i changed it from the extension cord, to the second outlet, don't know if i did something wrong with that) so i don't think its power

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

"... i run my air conditioning all day long ..."

The compressor runs 100% of the time? It doesn't cycle?

The only other thing I can think of is your coax cable and connections. Check all the connections and make sure they are clean and secure. There should be only one splitter between you and your ISP, but since the cable folks were there I reckon they checked on that.

6. Bumbledor

Bumbledor

I have comcast cable. I live in an apartment complex, and constantly have internet issues. The reason for this is 2 fold. One, soo many people hooked up in one location causing low signal strengths. 2, idiot techs who screw things up at the local junction box which cause ground problems or other connection issues.

7. XcheifX

XcheifX Thread Starter

this thread is almost solved, i got the charter guys to come over and check my wires. It seems that the wire connected from the outside to the house is damage(most likely because of winds) so their going to re-wire everything. this also explains why the internet would turn on and off(swaying of the wind moving the coax cable back and forth) so hopefully by next week ill have this problem solve, maybe sooner if i complain a little. And what i meant about the air was that usually when it turns on the internet works and sometimes doesn't work.

I don't know why, but the cable that came the first time didn't notice anything wrong with my connection. maybe because when he came my internet was working. this time i got lucky and the guy came at the right time. Thx again for the help guys, i really appreciate it. And by wednesday of next week i should be able to mark the thread "solved"

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Glad the problem was finally found. With symptoms like yours I usually make noise about coax cables and connections, especially outside, but didn't this time because "they said they found a coax cable from the outside that was damages, so he replaced it."

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/477800