Problems with camera

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beachgal

I received a CannonSD450 digital camera, downloaded the program, when I hook up the camera to continue installation it tells me I don't have a connection with the camera. I've spoken with the techs at Cannon (for an hour), at first they said something about PTP (Photo Transfer Protocol), they couldn't find a download for WindowsXP, then something popped up and said I wasn't the administrator (I am), they said MAYBE a spy was fighting with me. I've tried to contact Microsoft and Dell - a waste of time. Everything else loaded into the computer when I downloaded the cd but I can't make the camera connection. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Thanks for any suggestions.

Start> Run> type: services.msc then OK.
Scroll down to Plug and Play and double click it.
Under the section> Startup type: select Automatic on the drop down.
Then Apply and OK. See if the camera is recognized now.

beachgal

Thanks Augie, I gave it a try but it still doesn't recoginize the camera. The tech guy at Cannon said I might have a spy that's fighting with me. I haven't had any other problems so am not sure about that. I'm still wondering what this PTP is that he at first said needed to be downloaded but he couldn't find it for WindowsXP.

I appreciate your attempt to help...thanks so much.

See if this Canon Support helps. Note: PTP(no driver required)
According to this, you have to have your camera connected when you install the USB WIA driver. Be sure your camera batteries are charged up or use the power connector when installing the software.
I don't have a Canon, but a Minolta, so I can't say what the problem might be. Just be sure the the USB cable is connected on both ends securely.

We will need to check a few things,

Have you re-booted the computer ?

Have you tried using a different USB Port ?

Have you tried to Uninstall and Re-install all of the camera software that was installed from the cd.

Click My Computer>View System Information>Hardware Tab>Device Manager Tab, are there any entries with red or yellow crosses next to them ? If so what entries are they.

With the camera switched off and in replay mode attach to a USB port with cable supplied. Power on camera - does ZoomBrowser Ex fire up?? If so click on Acquire & Camera Settings and you should see your pictures on the camera ready for download. Using a different USB port as previously suggested might be worth a try.

Alternatively card readers are very cheap now!!

beachgal

I was away from here for a couple of days. I've tried all suggestions and still get the dreaded pop-up "can't make connection between computer and camera" I bought a "reader" and the strange thing is I got the same pop up when I tried to connect. I don't know what else to do other than return the camera.

I appreciate the help, I just can't imagine why my computer won't recognize these things. I've never had these issues before.

Thanks everyone for your time and ideas.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Before you give up, try this.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Worth a try -

I have just hooked up a Fuji camera to download pictures through Canon ZoomBrowser and at first the camera was not detected (it was attached via a USB hub). I left the camera switched on and unhooked the USB cable at the back of computer and then put it straight back in. Windows immediately detected new hardware and the camera was seen in ZoomBrowser and pictures could be downloaded.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online